No announcement yet.

Which foley catheter to buy (SP tube)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which foley catheter to buy (SP tube)?

Can't find any recent threads about this. I'm a few months in to using an SP tube, and am trying to decide which catheter to buy. The current one my urologist put in is a Bardex Infection Control 2 way foley. Because of my high deductible (private insurance) I will be paying out of pocket. These catheters are around $13 each and that doesn't include the insertion kit. I don't want to use a cheap (quality) catheter but are there any good ones that are less expensive? Or any other suggestions as to which to buy. The amount of options is overwhelming.

There is no good evidence that a silver impregnated catheter reduces the rate of UTIs in long-term users. The studies done with these catheters do indicate a lower rate of CAUTI (catheter-associated UTI) for short term users such as those using them in the hospital for less than 3 weeks. It is a good catheter, but as you say, expensive.

I would stick to an indwelling Foley type catheter which is not just latex; silicone, or silicone coated latex catheters being preferred. If you have a latex allergy, silicone catheters are best because silicone coating with a latex catheter does not protect you from contact with latex.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Recently switched to Rusch Gold catheters and very happy so far. This is only my second one because the first lasted 5 weeks before clogging. The previous brand Bard Silastic were only lasting 3 weeks.
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        There is no good evidence that a silver impregnated catheter reduces the rate of UTIs in long-term users. The studies done with these catheters do indicate a lower rate of CAUTI (catheter-associated UTI) for short term users such as those using them in the hospital for less than 3 weeks. It is a good catheter, but as you say, expensive.

I would stick to an indwelling Foley type catheter which is not just latex; silicone, or silicone coated latex catheters being preferred. If you have a latex allergy, silicone catheters are best because silicone coating with a latex catheter does not protect you from contact with latex.

(KLD)
        One thing I like about the latex catheter is I can lay it flat against my stomach and tape it down so that it doesn't protrude out at all where it comes out of my stomach. This helps my pants/belt from hitting it. Are silicone catheters just as flexible?

Comment

The two I have tried are very flexible. However I never bend them at a right angle. Some of my accidents occur when the catheters get twisted or bent sharply accidently.
          "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
          T5/6 complete

Comment

GJ always used the Poiesis Duette catheter. https://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

This 100% silicone catheter has two balloons, an anchor balloon at the top and a cushioning balloon at the bottom where a tip would normally be. The drainage eyelets are between the two balloons.

Poiesis will send you free samples.

Search Care Cure website for previous post about this catheter.

NL

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              GJ always used the Poiesis Duette catheter. https://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

This 100% silicone catheter has two balloons, an anchor balloon at the top and a cushioning balloon at the bottom where a tip would normally be. The drainage eyelets are between the two balloons.

Poiesis will send you free samples.

Search Care Cure website for previous post about this catheter.

NL
              I use the Duette catheter also.. Works great for me..

Comment

The only problem I have with duette is that they are not stiff enough so sometimes they are unable to be inserted in the stoma
                on the other hand regular silicone catheters are stiffer and I had to have a few trips to the ER because the duette wasnt able to go in... Double balloons also lose fluid too quick
                C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

Working...
                X