What is the cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the cause?

Hi, on Monday evening I began developing chills and a low grade fever. At the same time, I began to experience pain in my upper right arm. On Sunday I did a slight workout with my arm, so not sure if I aggravated something, and that is the cause of the pain. However, I have noticed at times when I have something going on in my abdominal area, I experience a sharp pain in my shoulder. So yesterday, I submitted a urine sample, and was subsequently was prescribed Cipro. So last evening, when I got in bed, my aid did dig stim to remove excess gas. As son as I rolled onto my back, my abdominal area experienced strong spasms, accompanied by sharp shoulder pain. The spasms subsided after about 45 minutes, but would return throughout the night. At around 4 am, the abdominal spasms returned in full force, with again sharp shoulder pain. My abdominal area was hard to the touch, which initially caused concern that there might be a blockage of some kind (my last routine on Sunday night was loose, but good results). I got in my chair with intentions of going to the ER, which under the circumstances I am trying to avoid. Once in my chair, the spasms subsided, with one here and there. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Nurse or anyone have theories or similar experiences?

Comment

Have you had a recent abdominal ultrasound, especially of the gall bladder? Right shoulder pain can be referred pain from gall bladder problems. They are common in people with SCI/D.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I had one in January, with nothing remarkable.

Comment

Contact your provider and see if they will order another abdominal ultrasound. It does sound like you could have a new acute problem in the area of the gall bladder or pancreas.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Curious as to what are the typical symptoms of bowel obstruction in SCI? I do my routine Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday. I last went on Sunday, with large loose results. However, my routine last night had no results Other than gas. I repeated the routine tonight, with the same results.

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
              Curious as to what are the typical symptoms of bowel obstruction in SCI? I do my routine Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday. I last went on Sunday, with large loose results. However, my routine last night had no results Other than gas. I repeated the routine tonight, with the same results.
              Do you mean an impaction, or a bowel obstruction from other causes (such as a tumor or intussusception)?

Was the stool you passed on Sunday mostly mucous?

Is your abdomen distended more than normal?

Are you passing any gas today?

Have you had any nausea or vomiting?

Have you taken a laxative (more than your usual)?

Have you called your provider? An ultrasound or KUB Xray may be able to determine what is going on.

(KLD)

Comment

I have a call into my doctor.

Impaction I suppose. Or could just be constipated. I've had similar experiences in 26 years of quad life. It was not mucousy. Doesn't seem to be abnormally distended, though at times when my abdominal spasms are at their worst it does. I did pass gas, yes. No nausea or vomiting. No changes in laxative use.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X