Keto diet & bowel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keto diet & bowel problems

Hello all!! So I have been on the keto diet 4 almost a year now...lost quite a bit of weight but just recently have been having bowl issues- I normally do my bowel program every night- but recently have been having accidents frequently. I am being supervised by a dietitian, but they arent too familiar with paras, I've tried researching but cant find many answers, so my question is has any1 been on keto & had same problem having accidents & if so, what have u done 2 resolve problem? I try & stay around 20 net carbs, 75 g fat, 61 g protein & 20 g fiber daily.

Anything else change? New medicines? Recent illness?

Do you take a probiotic?

Have you tried adding some Metamicil/generic metamucil?

Have any other things changed, like your bladder function or other SCI stuff?

Can you try going 2x a day for a little while, until things get under control? The morning visit can be more of a quick check, to make sure there isn't anything ready and waiting.

Comment

• Redslady84
      Redslady84 commented
      Editing a comment
      No medicine changes. I do take a probiotic already & tablespoon of benefiber in water every am. I was adding a tablespoon of chia seeds as well but stopped a few weeks ago. I think I had ate some old food couple weeks ago bc I had diarrhea 4 like 2weeks. I've been eating a yogurt/ sauerkraut a day just 2 get my gut feeling better but even had a stool sample tested...everything was negative. Ive been eliminating foods & adding things back just 2 find the culprit but its frustrating.Only change in bladder is my botox is starting 2 wear off & I'm due 4 more injections, this would b my 3rd time with botox & it's never been an issue except I pee more & have those accidents, which r still embarrassing but dealable.

I had a bowl problem!

This was my Bowl from my divorce in 83.
    "All I need is this Bowl and this Cup, and this knife and this spoon!".......and this Welsh Farms Vanilla..
    Grisly experience. I loved that bowl! I still have the rest. Funny how I get attached to things.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

• Redslady84
      Redslady84 commented
      Editing a comment
      Haahaa mr. Funny...I didnt even catch my failed spelling!!

Comment

Just a comment, that seems like a large amount of protein - I believe the recommended amount for women per day is around 40 g. Can you talk to the dietitian about that? Are there any side effects if that amount is needed?

Comment

Has your food intake decreased also? that can effect your BM output, increased amount of protein can do that also.
        pbr
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
        X