Terrible AD from SP blockage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible AD from SP blockage

The last few weeks have been terrible I have had very bad AD about three times one was from a sediment build up in my tube blocking my urine from flowing out and the other time’s I think I had hard stools in my bowels possibly restricting my urinating from my SP. does anyone have any similar experience or answers for these issues I drink lots of water and have a good healthy diet but like usual things pop up out of nowhere and cause problems.

Sometimes you can clear the blockage by fiddling with the catheter, or repositioning. I've experienced restricted flow from excessive gas so your theory is probably correct.

Comment

I have a bladder augment which unfortunately some 15 years later still produces a lot of thick mucus, despite irrigating twice a day. In addition, my bladder is still quite irritable and contracts at relatively low volumes for an augment requiring a Foley catheter when hospitalized when one is usually on IV hydration and a catheterization schedule cannot be reliably followed.

Whenever I am hospitalized, my Foley plugs up on a daily basis from the mucus, sometimes more than once a day. When it does, my blood pressure can skyrocket, classic AD. The urine will then come out the only opening available, which is the umbilical stoma at which time I am completely soaked in addition to my bedding, leaving the staff pissed off. At this point the only way to resolve it is to open up the drainage system and flush the system, withdrawing the mucus, not just pushing it inside. Just pushing it inside will leave the thick wad of mucus inside, only for to recur a short time later. However, infection protocol requires that the drainage system once closed not be opened so as to not introduce the possibility of infection. Thus, all sorts of administrative problems start with the nursing staff and the physicians. Despite getting this straightened out immediately upon admission it is a problem that still recurs.

To make a long story short, whenever my drainage system was plugged up my typically low systolic BP of less than 90 would often shoot up to close to 200 and my head would pound so bad at times I really was frightened that I would pop a blood vessel in my brain and suffer a stroke.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just had another AD episode today after doing my bowel routine and laying in bed my bladder wasn’t emptying so I sat up and it emptied. I don’t know what is going on is it my bowels or bladder or both? I don’t know what to do? The AD is terrible!

Comment

I guessing you have a suprapubic indwelling foley catheter. If you have sediment in your catheter tube, you could change your catheter more often like every 2-3 weeks or use a flush to unplug the sediment using normal saline, sterile water or a vinegar diluted type flush (which would come in a pharmaceutical form). Depending on the amount of sediment that appears, you can flush the catheter once a week, twice weekly or however how often it is needed.

pbr
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! We have been flushing it every time it gets plugged up now. Also could it be plugged by stool pushing on my bladder? I have noticed it plugs mainly on my bowel days or if I have something in my bowels? Never had this type of issue before

Comment

What kind of catheter are you using? A large amount of stool in your rectum could in theory compress the bladder wall against the eye of a regular Foley type catheter. Have you tried any other type of catheter such as the Duette that has been discussed here, or a mushroom or Malicot catheter?

Clogging on a frequent basis may be managed by daily instillations (not irrigations) of the catheter with Renecidin solution. You may want to discuss this with your urologist.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Full bowels, positioning, fluid intake, diet can all be factors. I can get minor ad throughout the day but it doesn't usually clog anything or cause problems. Whenever I have an issue the first thing I do is drink more water.
                "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
                T5/6 complete

Comment

Definitely pounding the water now urine is as clear as water and it’s not clogging right now so fingers crossed that stays like that. Thanks for the tips

Comment

How much water daily? You don't want to drink enough that you drop your sodium levels in your blood.

(KLD)

Comment

Ty, I have an SP, too. I have a Size 26, anything smaller could restrict urine flow, thus allowing mucus and other debris to form. I drink 70 ounces of water daily. and two cups of coffee/tea. No soft drinks (colas, etc,). Relatively free from UTIs. Been on the cusp for them, but managed, with more water, to stave off full UTIs. Bottled, filtered or good well/spring water only.
                      You C.A.N.
                      Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Working...
                      X