alternative for wet ones when cathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative for wet ones when cathing

cant find these anywhere. pre covid i purchased on amazon but they have been out for months.
    what would be comparable for cleaning the area when cathing.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have been able to find facial wipes at Walmart/Dollar Tree for removing makeup that has a mild soap and sometimes a mild antiseptic. Just needs to be mild, no irritating . For Covid-19-I put 70% alcohol in mix up and then I have my Covid-19 wipes ready or chlorox to Really disinfect. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I get facial wipes( make up remover etc) from Walmart or Dollar Tree . Some have mild cleansing agent which could be used . I use for Covid-19 and add alcohol in some and chlorox in others and label. You might try more medical supply places. I ordered masks and gloves from Amazon over 2 months ago and have not received them yet. I found masks at the local Valero- 5 for $6.99. CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I've just been putting a drop of alcohol based hand cleaner right in the metus and letting it sit for a bit while getting the cath hydro packet popped and open. It seeps down a few mm too which is good IMO. Yeah it kinda fucking burns a bit, since I can feel the left side some. Doesn't leave and redness or anything. The BZK shit left chemical burns! That stuff sucks.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

• endo_aftermath
          endo_aftermath commented
          Editing a comment
          This is exactly what I've done for almost 10 years, the hand sanitizer part. No UTI for about five years. For a quad, it is so much easier than trying to tear open those little packets of sanitizing wipe. I've never had any reaction to BZK in the rare instances where I have used it.

• endo_aftermath
          endo_aftermath commented
          Editing a comment

I ordered bzk towelettes looks like same ingredients as wet ones?? Did I misread that?
        Dale, chemical burns ouch??
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com

Comment

Must be just me then. Anything with BZK in it cause my metus skin to get red then dark and dry and swollen like it's been burnt after a few days of use. Maybe I'm allergic to it.
          "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Do you need them to be ready-to-use? If not, you can use dry wipes. Make one soapy and the other one wet. Nurses at Craig always told me that it's more the scrubbing action and not the chemical that is important. You look like you are about my vintage, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know....

Comment

Fu, I have the same problem. My stash of Wet Ones is getting very low. I used to get them at BJ's Wholesale, $2 for a canister of 48 wipes but they are always out of stock now. I did call them 3 days ago and they said they had them the day before but they sold them all. I asked if I could leave my name and phone number so they could contact me next time they came in.......no way! They would not even set aside a few containers for me, the fuckers. I even called the Wet Ones distributer in CT but they were equally useless.

I looked on eBay but those cock suckers have outrageous prices. If I run out I guess I will continue to wash my hands, apply betadine to my meatus, rub Purell all over my hands (which I always do anyway) and insert the catheter. I usually clean off my hands and dick head with Wet Ones then use a betadine swab after that.

Comment

Yeah I called wet ones corporate as well and they blew me off twice
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

I would just use the smaller BZK wipes, that you can find at many medical supply websites.

Comment

Yeah I bought a box so do these bzk kill bacteria as well as the wet ones
                    Bike-on.com rep
                    John@bike-on.com

Comment

The only problem with the BZK wipes is they only have 0.13% BZK Chloride for an active ingredient as opposed to Wet Ones I currently have that have 0.3% BZK Chloride. However, the Wet Ones currently online state they have 0.13% BZK Chloride for an active ingredient. Frankly, I don't know if it makes any difference between 0.13% and 0.3% to sanitize your hands and meatus.....particulary if you additionally wash your hands and/or use Purell too.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                        cant find these anywhere. pre covid i purchased on amazon but they have been out for months.
                        what would be comparable for cleaning the area when cathing.
                        Hey fuentejps, the reason you can't find wet nes. mckesson is distributor for that product. mckesson with covid-19 restricts that product for sale only to hospitals and the us government. I also used wet ones but now use bzk towelletes dynarex # 1303 or also use theraworx wipes hx-8808

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                          Yeah I bought a box so do these bzk kill bacteria as well as the wet ones

Since the BZK wipes are what they use in the hospital, and what are included in the little packs of supplies to do sterile intermittent caths ("K1" kits), they should be fine.

But they are generally smaller, thinner than Wet wipes and dry out very quickly. Very easy to tear. But you will get used to them.

Comment

The hospital doctor used BZK wipes and gave me some for home. I ordered 12 boxes of 100 wipes but developed an allergic reaction after using 1.5 boxes. I have 10 boxes available for sale. PM me if interested.

Comment

Working...
                            X