Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traumatic SCI & Brachial plexus Injury together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traumatic SCI & Brachial plexus Injury together?

I have significant shoulder pain and I am concerned about this.

Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with A situation with a person who has survived a traumatic spinal cord injury and also ended up with brachial plexus injury at the same time, from that traumatic accident?

Theoretically, both can happen from a fall from a height, or from some sort of blunt trauma accident. Brachial plexus injury can occur from any sort of situation where there is significant traction between the head/neck and the shoulder.

I think it makes great sense that both things could happen at the same time. (See Photos)
    Injured on July 8th 2017 at 28 years old.
    Fractured C4 - C7, Incomplete.

Facebook Email

Photos

Facebook Email

Comment

Brachial plexus injury involves much more than just shoulder pain. It also involves paralysis or weakness, and often sensory loss over the area served by these peripheral nerves. If you have shoulder pain alone, it is much more likely you have a muscular-skeletal injury such as to your rotator cuff or other muscle groups in the shoulder.

Brachial plexus injuries are not uncommon in those who have had a traumatic SCI in a fall from a height, were thrown from a motor vehicle, or involved in a motorcycle accident. I have seen quite a number of the latter with traumatic paraplegic SCIs and one sided (usually) brachial plexus injuries.

I removed your duplicate posts in two other forums. We do not allow duplicate posts in different forums by the same OP on the same content.

(KLD)
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-20-2020, 02:59 AM.
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My apologies, I posted in multiple places not to violate the rules, but rather to try to make sure I got it in the right place. I figured wherever I got an answer would probably be the right place.

I do not have mere shoulder pain From a rotator cuff injury, I fell from a height of close to 40 feet and I have near-complete paralysis in both arms below the shoulders, as well as everything else below that, and horrible burning pain running down from my neck all the way down into my hand. Additionally, I have severe muscle spasms running for my neck down my shoulder, where the neck and shoulder muscles get rock hard solid through their own spontaneous spasming.

I have spoken with several of my doctors who say that it is extremely uncommon to have spinal cord injury occur at the same time as brachial plexus injury. It seems like this is a very poor conclusion to come to, since that is like saying that head trauma and contusions to the torso are very unlikely to happen at the same time. Many other sources I have found state a fall from a great height that results in significant traction between the neck and the shoulder is one major cause of brachial plexus injury. this also sounds like a cause of spinal cord injury, and therefore this makes sense to me.

Given that I fell in essentially exactly the matter that is depicted in those various images, and my symptoms lineup near perfectly with those that I have found in my research for brachial plexus injury, I figure that it is certainly possible if not likely.

I have not run into many other people who survived a spinal cord injury from a fall from a great height, so I'm not very familiar with how common the general incidence of these two things happening together at the same time is, but it sounds like it makes sense. Thank you for your confirmation SCI Nurse.

Facebook Email

Comment

Example images from stock as well as of myself in real life for the last picture in reference to this situation Click image for larger version

Name:	Document.png
Views:	14
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	2898067 Click image for larger version

Name:	Document.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	2898068 Click image for larger version

Name:	Document (1).png
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	2898069 Click image for larger version

Name:	Document (5).jpg
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	2898070 Click image for larger version

Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	2898071 Click image for larger version

Size:	580.7 KB
ID:	2898066
          Attached Files

Facebook Email

Comment

Working...
          X