Headaches from suprapubic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headaches from suprapubic?

I had my suprapubic changed on Wednesday. I change it once a month. For the first time ever we had trouble. Not sure what the problem was. Put in a different suprapubic and everything was flowing perfectly. But during the first change I developed a severe headache. Now ever sense when I flush with Renacidin or even sometimes when I drink water I get an intense headache. The headaches have continued and seem to be getting more of them. What could be causing this? Should I quit flushing for a while?
    Thanks, Clint
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

If the headache is from AD, then absolutely. Your bladder may be bruised, torn, or just inflamed. I routinely skip irrigating the day after a catheter change.

Comment

Probably AD.. I get it once in awhile when changing my sp catheter.. Your BP is probably off the charts.. Definitely need to get it done immediately!

Comment

I need to keep drinking water no matter what. Usually try to drink extra (24hrs) after a cath change.
        "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
        T5/6 complete

Comment

The headaches are not continuous. Seem to be randomly throughout the day. I had my blood pressure taken yesterday and it was 90/50. That is about normal for me. But this wasn't during one of my headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by countryboy View Post
            The headaches are not continuous. Seem to be randomly throughout the day. I had my blood pressure taken yesterday and it was 90/50. That is about normal for me. But this wasn't during one of my headaches.
            Check it when you are having a headache. Do you have Nitroglycerin or Nifedipine for AD?

Comment

I would think that this is AD, probably from the trauma of inserting the new catheter. You might want to try skipping the irrigations for a couple of days. I would also encourage you to drink - but smaller quantities at a time. Take your BP during one of the headaches - and I would call your provider and at least let him/her know what is going on.
              ckf
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post

Check it when you are having a headache. Do you have Nitroglycerin or Nifedipine for AD?
                I will check it next time I have a headache. I do not have any medication for AD.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  I would think that this is AD, probably from the trauma of inserting the new catheter. You might want to try skipping the irrigations for a couple of days. I would also encourage you to drink - but smaller quantities at a time. Take your BP during one of the headaches - and I would call your provider and at least let him/her know what is going on.
                  ckf
                  I will do that. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Sorry, but I just remembered something that happened to me long ago. After changing my suprapubic catheter, my bladder started bothering me a lot, AD, etc. I finally changed it again with the same kind and size of catheter. I surmised that the first catheter had inflated improperly, e.g. the balloon did not inflate symmetrically. I should have reinflated it to test, but I threw it away before I thought of that. Later, I asked a urologist if that was possible, and he said "Yes, he has seen that happen." So, if yours keeps bothering you, you might want to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by khmorgan View Post
                      I should have reinflated it to test, but I threw it away before I thought of that. Later, I asked a urologist if that was possible, and he said "Yes, he has seen that happen." So, if yours keeps bothering you, you might want to replace it.
                      Do not pre-inflate catheter balloons. This is an outdated practice, and with modern materials and manufacturing it can actually cause more trauma during catheter insertion than when inserting a non-pre-inflated catheter, and even more trauma than can be caused by having to remove and replace a defective (rare) catheter.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Do not pre-inflate catheter balloons. This is an outdated practice, and with modern materials and manufacturing it can actually cause more trauma during catheter insertion than when inserting a non-pre-inflated catheter, and even more trauma than can be caused by having to remove and replace a defective (rare) catheter.

(KLD)
                        Sorry that I wasn't clear. I said reinflate rather than pre-inflate. What I meant was that after we had removed the old catheter and installed the new one, I should have reinflated the old catheter to see if it did indeed inflate irregularly. Speaking of pre-inflating, after that we did pre-inflate new catheters a little for awhile, but stopped that after we had finished that box of catheters.

Thank God defective catheters are a rare occurrence now. About 15 years ago, I got a box of 10 catheters, and 3 of the first 5 were defective. I returned one of the defective ones to Bard and all the unused ones. They sent me 5 new ones. Of course, that didn't cover the cost of the urologist who had to puncture the balloon of one of them with an amniocentesis needle.

Comment

Working...
                        X