Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you using a "valve" with your foley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you using a "valve" with your foley?

Is anyone regularly using a valve with their foley? Like these - a newer brand I recently found on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/Ugo-Catheter-...9661920&sr=8-1

Why did you decide to use it? Do you have it in all the time? Which brand do you use? Any problems/warnings/advice?

My father is a 77 year old incomplete para who does CIC during the day and places a foley at night to not have to get up to cath frequently. He has had a lot of illness this year, and with aging, is having a harder time cathing regularly and is using a foley more often for a break. HIs urologist has been really pushing the superpubic, and said that using one of these valves is an option for not having to use a leg bag all the time. My Dad also wonders if he could take advantage of having the valve to allow him to do bladder instillations with a longer dwell time, while keeping a foley in place. So if you use a valve, have you ever tried to do an instillation through it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tx

I would not recommend plugging an indwelling catheter for someone with a neurogenic bladder. This can cause autonomic dysreflexia, high bladder pressures resulting in bladder-ureter reflux, and possible hydronephrosis. This can be an especially big problem for those with low bladder capacity (as shown on urodynamics) or a lot of bladder spasm.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      I would not recommend plugging an indwelling catheter for someone with a neurogenic bladder. This can cause autonomic dysreflexia, high bladder pressures resulting in bladder-ureter reflux, and possible hydronephrosis. This can be an especially big problem for those with low bladder capacity (as shown on urodynamics) or a lot of bladder spasm.

(KLD)

These concerns are reasonable.

My Dad would only be using it closed for very limited periods of time to allow instilling with a longer dwell time, or to avoid using a leg bag during physical therapy session, for example. His bladder pressures are good on trospium, and he has good sensation for needing to cath, and caths on a very frequent schedule. He is L3 ASIA C and does not have autonomic dysreflexia.

Comment

Working...
      X