Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cipro safe to take for UTI? (causes tendon damage, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After being off the antibiotics for about a week I started having issues with bladder spasms/leaking so I had to go back to the condom catheter/leg bag in addition to the SP tube, as well as my urine starting to smell again. So I had another culture and sensitivity done over the weekend and got the results today. I still have the same pseudomona bacteria I had last time. So the 7 days of generic Levaquin didn't help. Should hear back from my urologist by wednesday to get his opinion. The nurse has told me in the past they don't normally consult with an infectious disease doc until it's a last resort. I'm not sure with my current situation if I'm at that point or not. I don't want to take another round of the same antibiotic I did last time and make my tendinitis even worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

It is all the fluoroquinolones- those ending (generic) in floxacin. Cipro was used more commonly and in most reports. Symptoms-Abrupt onset of pain, with swelling, tenderness, warmth or redness over tendinopathic sites-90% achilles tendon. It is not a common occurrence. I personally have never seen in in an SCI persons. We prescribe po Cipro and also IV cipro without any problems. IF any symptoms were to be noted, we would stop Cipro immediately. Since commonly used for UTI, may be the only sensitive organism. We do frown on prolonged treatment. And another reason not to take unless confirmed culture and sensitivity of Cipro. You could ask your provider if there is another antibiotic he could prescribe or if you notice symptoms then stop. Was the pseudomonas sensitive to the floxacins? it doesn't usually differentiate between Cipro or Levo as it looks for class of antibiotic. Get the results of the culture- first one and then one done after taking it. Pseudomonas is known for becoming resistant easily. An infectious disease doctor is not required for this unless you are totally resistant to all po and most IM/IV meds. Urology should be able to handle.
      You might look for another source such as prostatitis or bladder and/or kidney stones- which for prostatitis would require a longer course of antibiotics and stones- depends on how large etc.. as to what to do.
      CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        It is all the fluoroquinolones- those ending (generic) in floxacin. Cipro was used more commonly and in most reports. Symptoms-Abrupt onset of pain, with swelling, tenderness, warmth or redness over tendinopathic sites-90% achilles tendon. It is not a common occurrence. I personally have never seen in in an SCI persons. We prescribe po Cipro and also IV cipro without any problems. IF any symptoms were to be noted, we would stop Cipro immediately. Since commonly used for UTI, may be the only sensitive organism. We do frown on prolonged treatment. And another reason not to take unless confirmed culture and sensitivity of Cipro. You could ask your provider if there is another antibiotic he could prescribe or if you notice symptoms then stop. Was the pseudomonas sensitive to the floxacins? it doesn't usually differentiate between Cipro or Levo as it looks for class of antibiotic. Get the results of the culture- first one and then one done after taking it. Pseudomonas is known for becoming resistant easily. An infectious disease doctor is not required for this unless you are totally resistant to all po and most IM/IV meds. Urology should be able to handle.
        You might look for another source such as prostatitis or bladder and/or kidney stones- which for prostatitis would require a longer course of antibiotics and stones- depends on how large etc.. as to what to do.
        CWO
        Thanks, I was prescribed 7 days of Levofloxacin after the culture result I posted above for pseudomonas. After that course of antibiotics I was still having symptoms so I had another culture and sensitivity done and the pseudomonas is still there and still showing sensitivity to cipro/levaquin. Should hear back from my urologist on Wednesday.

As far as your comments on the tendon damage issue, the tendonitis I have had in both elbows for the past 2-3 years definitely got worse while on the Levofloxacin. It seems to have gotten better since then though.

Comment

The issue with tendons and this class of drugs is not related to tendonitis (inflammation of the tendons); instead it is related to a big increase in tendon tears and ruptures. In people with SCI, this is most concerning related to the rotator cuff and other tendons in the shoulder.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I used to take cipro whenever it was indicated. Because it made me feel so much better so quickly. But I prefer macrobid now. Because it is narrow spectrum (does not affect other parts of the body).

Comment

Narrow spectrum does not mean it does not effect other parts of the body. Narrow spectrum means it treats a fairly limited different types of bacterial infections. Broad spectrum antibiotics are those that treat a wide range of different bacterial infections.

I have had several patients who developed very serious complications from long term use of macrodantin, including aplastic anemia and liver failure. Bacteria can also develop resistance to macrodantin when it is used repeatedly.

(KLD)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                Narrow spectrum does not mean it does not effect other parts of the body. Narrow spectrum means it treats a fairly limited different types of bacterial infections. Broad spectrum antibiotics are those that treat a wide range of different bacterial infections.

I have had several patients who developed very serious complications from long term use of macrodantin, including aplastic anemia and liver failure. Bacteria can also develop resistance to macrodantin when it is used repeatedly.

(KLD)
                Good to know. I thought it targeted only the urinary tract.

Comment

Working...
                X