Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cipro safe to take for UTI? (causes tendon damage, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Cipro safe to take for UTI? (causes tendon damage, etc.)

So my doc gave me the option of Levofloxacin or Cipro for a UTI. The first sentence under the warning for both of these antibiotics is "may cause serious and possibly permanent tendon damage (such as tendonitis) peripheral nephropathy, and nervous system problems."

I have had tendinitis in both elbows for years and already have severe nerve pain 24/7. Not keen on making these existing issues any worse. What do I do if these antibiotics are the only ones that will treat the UTI? Going call Urologist back this morning but thought I'd ask on here to see what everyone's experience has been with these side effects.

This is an awful dilema. Having suffered kidney damage due to Cipro, i would push for an alternative, evn if it is an IV antibiotic, assuming it is safer.

Comment

I'm allergic to Cipro and stopped Levofloxin for tendon reasons. Cephalexin(Cephlex) is one I've been given for many years with no ill effects

Comment

Did you ask your physician if there were any other options for your specific infection? I am assuming your urine was analyzed with a culture and sensitivity (C&S). Repeated use of Cipro or other drugs in this class does come with the risks for tendon injuries (rupture usually), so they should be used only if there are no other options for people with SCI/D.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Did you ask your physician if there were any other options for your specific infection? I am assuming your urine was analyzed with a culture and sensitivity (C&S). Repeated use of Cipro or other drugs in this class does come with the risks for tendon injuries (rupture usually), so they should be used only if there are no other options for people with SCI/D.

(KLD)
          Yes, levaquin and Cipro were the only options for this infection. I did have a c&s done. Would I be better off waiting this out and drinking lots of water, at least through the weekend? The only symptom I have is cold sweating through the night, which is manageable. No fever. After everything I've read I really don't want to take these antibiotics. But didn't know if the infection would eventually go away on its own?

Comment

Take the medication, ideally for 10-14 days. Untreated, this can damage your kidneys or even develop into a septicemia. Next time, discuss with your urologist what other options may be available, and if he is not sure, you may want to ask for a consultation with an infectious disease physician.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Take the medication, ideally for 10-14 days. Untreated, this can damage your kidneys or even develop into a septicemia. Next time, discuss with your urologist what other options may be available, and if he is not sure, you may want to ask for a consultation with an infectious disease physician.

(KLD)
              If the prescription is for 7 days, should I call Monday and see if they will extend it to 10-14? The only other option was having a home health person come to my house and give me a shot every day for the next 5 days. No idea how expensive that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad09 View Post

If the prescription is for 7 days, should I call Monday and see if they will extend it to 10-14? The only other option was having a home health person come to my house and give me a shot every day for the next 5 days. No idea how expensive that would be.
                Brad, i would get yourself an Infectious Disease doc or even try calling a pharmacist and mention your tendon concerns and ask if they can suggest alternatives. It was simple for me to get an ID doc...just ask your PCP for a referral. And we have a good online system here (unityPoint.com). I just send the Culture report to my ID doc in a quick email and he gave me his advice on the best solutions to use (no need to make appointments/office visit after the initial visit). The Urologist and ID doc could also collaborate (at least mine did with me as the advocate). If you share what pathogen (bacteria) the culture found it might help us to offer advice. The Micodox instructions using MicrocynAH might be an option? And yes you should be able to easily get your prescription extended.

Hope you get back to your healthy self soon!
                Last edited by crispy1981; 05-16-2020, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crispy1981 View Post

Brad, i would get yourself an Infectious Disease doc or even try calling a pharmacist and mention your tendon concerns and ask if they can suggest alternatives. It was simple for me to get an ID doc...just ask your PCP for a referral. And we have a good online system here (unityPoint.com). I just send the Culture report to my ID doc in a quick email and he gave me his advice on the best solutions to use (no need to make appointments/office visit after the initial visit). The Urologist and ID doc could also collaborate (at least mine did with me as the advocate). If you share what pathogen (bacteria) the culture found it might help us to offer advice. The Micodox instructions using MicrocynAH might be an option? And yes you should be able to easily get your prescription extended.

Hope you get back to your healthy self soon!
                  Thanks, I will look into an ID doc. Normally I can pull up my test results online as well, but for some reason this most recent one is not showing up. I'll have to call Monday and get them to send them to me. I will post the info as soon as I get it and hopefully won't have any issues with the antibiotic in the meantime.

Comment

Thanks, I will look into an ID doc. Normally I can pull up my test results online as well, but for some reason this most recent one is not showing up. I'll have to call Monday and get them to send them to me. I will post the info as soon as I get it and hopefully won't have any issues with the antibiotic in the meantime.
                    Brad, since an ID doc will likely require an initial visit perhaps you can call a pharmacy? I haven't tried this yet personally but i know my doctor did that when i got a culture that was resistant to a bunch of Anti Biotics. And i'm pretty sure they won't charge you to call and ask them if they can recommend alternatives to Cipro? It might save you some time since you are currently dealing with an infection.

The pharmacist might even be able to contact your doctor and get access to the culture?

Just an idea. All the best.

Comment

Here are the culture results. I'm on day 4 of 7 of Levofloxacin (generic Levaquin). After having the UTI for 3 days or so waiting on the culture results, I did't have any problems with bladder spasms on the Myrbetriq. However the very next day after starting the antibiotic it started leaking and I had to go back to a condom catheter/leg bag in addition to the SP tube. I've had to continue doing this for the past 2-3 days. Is the antibiotic the reason this is happening, since I didn't have any issues when it was just the UTI beforehand? Also, if yall see anything on the test results I need to be aware of, please let me know. I have very little experience with this type of stuff. I've always just taken whatever antibiotic they tell me, as I'm always over the 100k count.

Also, what is the difference in being colonized and not needing to be treated and having an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics for someone with SCI? How do I know in the future if I need to take antibiotics or if the results are normal for someone with an indwelling catheter and SCI?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here are the culture results. I'm on day 4 of 7 of Levofloxacin (generic Levaquin). After having the UTI for 3 days or so waiting on the culture results, I did't have any problems with bladder spasms on the Myrbetriq. However the very next day after starting the antibiotic it started leaking and I had to go back to a condom catheter/leg bag in addition to the SP tube. I've had to continue doing this for the past 2-3 days. Is the antibiotic the reason this is happening, since I didn't have any issues when it was just the UTI beforehand? Also, if yall see anything on the test results I need to be aware of, please let me know. I have very little experience with this type of stuff. I've always just taken whatever antibiotic they tell me, as I'm always over the 100k count.

Also, what is the difference in being colonized and not needing to be treated and having an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics for someone with SCI? How do I know in the future if I need to take antibiotics or if the results are normal for someone with an indwelling catheter and SCI?
                        A nurse would be the best to interpret but from my experience i would say you are on the best choice for your culture results (Levaquin). You have 2 pathogens (Pseudomonas and Enterococcus) and both are susceptible to Leviquin. I don't really understand the MIC part of a culture...i think the lower the MIC number the better? Research indicates Leviquin to be a very good solution because it has a very high concentration in the bladder despite the MIC.

I don't know anything about SPubic, hopefully someone knowledgeable can help you. I am always surprised that IC and SP folks don't leak so there must be some solutions to solve that.

Also, i think the consensus for us SCi is that we are considered 'complicated' regarding UTi's and we are supposed to take Antibiotics for 10-14 days? Although my ID doc told me 7 on leviquin would be plenty since it concentrates in the bladder for my pseudomonas therapy.

Here is a nurse's answer to the definition of 'Colonization'...

Also, since you are T6 i'm not sure if you are susceptible to AD? That makes UTi's a little more troublesome.

With colonization you don't have any issues except maybe the smell or sediment. You do not get viruses in your bladder. People need to wear gloves when emptying urine. There is nothing contagious except you can get MRSA in the urine but they would have to have an open wound. Consider your urine always colonized if you cath yourself, have indwelling or don't empty your bladder- it is just normal in neurogenic SCI bladder.
                        I guess you haven't read my analogy about colonization.
                        The pilgrims and the Indians lived happy together and it is an example of colonization. Just like the bladder and organisms =living in the urine- happy together-colonization. Until....... they starting killing each other and fighting over the land..= colonization ended. Problem. When the colonized organisms in the bladder start causing problems/symptoms of UTI then colonization has ended and it is probably a UTI.

CWO
                        Last edited by crispy1981; 05-19-2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

The general rule is that we do not treat colonizations - they are expected with an indwelling catheter of any type. Trying to treat an infection (symptomatic) without antibiotics is generally not successful - you may feel better while pushing the fluids and taking tylenol, but it is temporary. I would get an infectious disease doc and work with him/her. This is what they specialize in.

ckf

Comment

Working...
                          X