red skin around colostomy stoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red skin around colostomy stoma

I have had the colonoscopy for15 years never had red skin and raised skin used the same company coloplast same flange or barrier it just started no leakge my pants are not tight. I have it off now going to stay up for an hr to let the skin rest. but then I got to put 1 back on for bed. I will call Monday but meanwhile any idea what or why. I will in am take it off to air while home but I am scared of sores the skin is dry its red and raised bump the whole with of flange 2inches in circle
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 05-11-2020, 11:38 AM.

Just had a similar problem for the first time since my colostomy 8 years ago. Frightening to consider degradation that could prevent adhering the flange!
    One outside corner of the flange area was badly inflamed and wet from lymphatic fluid, so initially I washed it off, leaving the rest of the flange intact, and treated it with clormatazole and betamethasone (sp?) which is anti fungal & steroid cream. I tagged that corner down, bridging with 2" paper tap which held up fine. Three days later, after daily cleaning and creaming, I removed the flange and found that area to be OK, but many smaller blotches were developing and looked grim!
    I reverted to sealing the flange area with 3M Cavilon spray which I stopped using 5 years ago. That seemed to do the trick and everything is one again squeaky clean and good.
    Good luck!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

thank you so far no skin broken just red and bumpy will call colorpast Monday see what they suggest and look t what you did.. never ending fun how you been doing

Comment

Sounds like it could be a mild heat rash or fungus. I use a VERY week bleach solution when I get this. With this hot weather and humidity it gets common.

Comment

Is it wet underneath? Sweat? Possibly yeast. Air dry would help but OTC clotrimazol cream twice a day on the reddened area. If it clears it up continue applying to area for another 2-3 days. Also if there are any little red bumps or red dots around it. Apply it there also.

CWO
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

no skin is dry and the wafer will still adhere to skin and not come off? as its under the wafer that attaches to stomach with a hole cut so stoma can do its thing?

Comment

Nothing new in product to cause hypersensitivity? Company would be the one to know for sure. Hydrocortizone gel 1% good for any dermatitis and numerous other things.
              CWO
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                no skin is dry and the wafer will still adhere to skin and not come off? as its under the wafer that attaches to stomach with a hole cut so stoma can do its thing?
                I was going to post the obvious question but let it pass, something I do more and more on the net
                I was real worried when my problem developed and thought hard about my options. When I found the wet/red corner, I left the water on despite knowing there was other developing mini-messes under it, and only treated the ~1 1/4" triangle with my ointment, then taped it down with 2" 3M Micropore paper tape which is great tape for bodies like ours.
                I opened it twice and retreated before removing the flange after 3 days. There were still bad spots and the periphery of the stoma was red but skin intact/flange still adhered. I washed w/soap and water and put very tiny amounts of the salve on the 3 or 4 "hot spots". The previously awful corner looked pretty recovered.
                I sprayed the shit out of the whole area with 3M Cavilon barrier spray, waited until the surface was almost dry but still a little tacky, and applied the flange, holding it down and rubbing vigorously all around (I think the pressure and heat, especially from rubbing, helps in the bonding, especially in the middle where I will run my forefinger around in a circle on the small bit of flange material inside of the vertical plastic opening for the snap all the while pushing in on the plastic with the other hand.

I got off OK but it was a near disaster. If the skin had worsened, I had two ideas:
                < get a pile of 4x4s, treat the entire area with the clormatizole & bethamesole cream, and wait Repeat as necessary.
                < get the flange well secured in the middle, on that thicker brownish part, and treat problem spots with cream-maybe even little cut up gauzes on each one, seal with Cavilon spray, and adhere the flange as best as possible, and tape around the outside w/ 2" tape.

Good luck-doesn't it suck sometimes
                69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                NW NJ

Comment

I would recommend calling your ostomy nurse consultant and see if they are doing home visits or telehealth visits. It is very difficult to make appropriate recommendations without being able to touch and see the skin area involved.

(KLD)

Comment

I just changed wafer looks great no redness no bumps nothing look and feels like its supposed to so all I did wash thoroughy use alchol to clean rewash let air for hr or so... thank goodness

Comment

Working...
                    X