Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got an SP tube today, have some questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got an SP tube today, have some questions

    Not long after I got home from the procedure, I noticed that even though urine was filing the leg bag connected to the new SP tube, it was also still coming out the old fashion way. Not a lot, but enough that I had to put on a condom catheter/second bag. I called the nurse and she said that was normal and she has seen people have that happen up to a week or so after the procedure. I use a Urocare latex leg bag that has a backflow preventer valve in it so I'm not sure if that is making it harder for urine to push into the bag through the SP tube and maybe its finding an alternative way out with less resistance? I'm not sure if I should take the valve out of the bag or maybe this has nothing to do with my issue anyway. No one at my urologist office today told me to expect this, so I wanted to see if anyone here and/or nurses can clarify that this is normal. If so, how long will it do this?

    Second question, the past few years that I have used condom catheters/leg bags I would connect a leg bag with a short tube at night in bed and just let it lay next to me. So that when I roll over, as I do often throughout the night, I can just flip the bag over to the other side easliy. For the nurses, is there any downside to continue doing this with the SP tube? I'm afraid if I use a bed bag that hangs off the side of the bed, down low, that the tube will get tangled up when I flip over during the night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

  • #2
    Always gently irrigate to insure there is not a blood clot partially occluding the catheter. Could be bladder spasms also. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not a nurse but I do have a SP. Mine took a couple months to settle down. And for me to learn to manage it. One thing I learned is drink water first thing when I wake up rather than wait a couple hours to start drinking. I think having more fluid going into the bladder helps create more pressure pushing out the sediment and whatever else is in there. I still tend to need a flush around 10 days after changing to a new catheter. Can not go much past 21 days without needing to change. Good Luck!
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

      Comment


      • #4
        for the supra what do you have it secured with a stat loc? or tape I would just make sure that the catheter is very secure so that when you turn only the connector tube that you are using gets pulled make sure that the catheter itself does not get tugged on. My son has a foley catheter but the same concept his urethral catheter is secure in either a stat loc holder or leg strap so that when I move his bed bag around the catheter does not get pulled.
        Cindy Waters
        mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
        injury march 2003

        Comment


        • #5
          I talked to a different nurse at the urologist office today and she talked to my urologist. He said it was probably bladder spasms as well, and suggested I start some medication to see if that helps. I got some samples of Myrbetriq, since that's the only one that doesn't give me bad side effects, so I'll try that for a week and see what happens. If it does stop leaking on the meds I'll try stopping them in a few weeks to see if my bladder will have calmed down by then and can handle the SP tube without the meds or if I'll need to continue taking them from here on out to keep it from leaking. Do most people with SP tubes take bladder medication as well to keep if from leaking out of the urethra?

          Comment


          • #6
            Those with strong bladder spasms or to keep the bladder from shrinking (relaxes the bladder and thought to help prevent this).
            So start with 25 mg if no side effects and still having issues, increase to 50 mg. Should the leakage stop, then either stay at that dose or if you want to lower, go back down to 25 mg daily and if still no leaking you might want to stay there. Or use only when needed. CWO
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


            • #7
              I read here that it is effective within 8 weeks . . . . .https://www.rxlist.com/myrbetriq-drug.htm#indications
              Cindy Waters
              mom to Anthony, right c5, left c4 (24yo)
              injury march 2003

              Comment


              • #8
                How are things Brad09? Hope the leaking is subsiding?

                Comment


                • #9
                  It did thanks. I started the Myrbetriq the day after the procedure and it only took a few days to start working and the leaking stopped. I'm going to give it a week or two and stop the meds to see if it will still leak on its own or not. No other issues so far.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                    It did thanks. I started the Myrbetriq the day after the procedure and it only took a few days to start working and the leaking stopped. I'm going to give it a week or two and stop the meds to see if it will still leak on its own or not. No other issues so far.
                    That's great news! Any initial thoughts on the pros/cons? Too early to draw any comparisons? I'm most curious of how you deal with a protrusion from the lower stomach area?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by crispy1981 View Post

                      That's great news! Any initial thoughts on the pros/cons? Too early to draw any comparisons? I'm most curious of how you deal with a protrusion from the lower stomach area?
                      Keeping in mind I came from using a condom catheter/leg bag full time (cathing twice a day) for the last few years, it has been a huge improvement in comparison. It also saves a lot of time not having to deal with the catheters and worrying about them coming off. I guess the only con will be having to change the SP tube out once a month, but I don't have any experience with that yet. As far as the tube sticking out of my stomach, it is much lower than I thought it would be and site right below my waist/belt line. So you don't see anything, even if I had my shirt off. And I haven't had any issues with it getting pulled on/pinched, etc. I'm using the McKesson stabilization devices that stick to my upper thigh and hold it in place. They are much cheaper than the Bard Statlock. So, so far it's been only pros.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had a UTI a few weeks before the SP tube procedure and took oral antibiotics for 7 days. Finished the antibiotics about 4 days before the procedure. 2-3 days after the procedure I started freezing/sweating at night which usually happens when I have a UTI. So I took a sample in and just heard back this morning the cultures came back positive for a few strains and the count was over 100k. So I will start another 7 days of antibiotics. Has anyone else had an infection right after having an SP tube put in? How likely is it this was a result of the procedure and if not what could have caused it? Should I be concerned I already have an infection just a few weeks after getting off antibiotics for my last one?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Brad09 View Post
                          I had a UTI a few weeks before the SP tube procedure and took oral antibiotics for 7 days. Finished the antibiotics about 4 days before the procedure. 2-3 days after the procedure I started freezing/sweating at night which usually happens when I have a UTI. So I took a sample in and just heard back this morning the cultures came back positive for a few strains and the count was over 100k. So I will start another 7 days of antibiotics. Has anyone else had an infection right after having an SP tube put in? How likely is it this was a result of the procedure and if not what could have caused it? Should I be concerned I already have an infection just a few weeks after getting off antibiotics for my last one?
                          Brad what are the culture results? Is it the same bug you had prior to the SP procedure?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brad09 View Post

                            Keeping in mind I came from using a condom catheter/leg bag full time (cathing twice a day) for the last few years, it has been a huge improvement in comparison. It also saves a lot of time not having to deal with the catheters and worrying about them coming off. I guess the only con will be having to change the SP tube out once a month, but I don't have any experience with that yet. As far as the tube sticking out of my stomach, it is much lower than I thought it would be and site right below my waist/belt line. So you don't see anything, even if I had my shirt off. And I haven't had any issues with it getting pulled on/pinched, etc. I'm using the McKesson stabilization devices that stick to my upper thigh and hold it in place. They are much cheaper than the Bard Statlock. So, so far it's been only pros.
                            So in summary you still wear a leg bag so the main difference is the reduction of condom cath daily maintenance and the SP tube will hopefully not come out/leak as often as the condom cath?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by crispy1981 View Post

                              Brad what are the culture results? Is it the same bug you had prior to the SP procedure?
                              No, it is different. Don't have the results in front of me to know what it was exactly.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X