Coronavirus and SCI/D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oddity View Post
    Maybe, but their base population mortality for Vets who were diagnosed was 7.7%, which is more than twice the base population mortality of non-Vets in general. That suggests there was some inflated accounting going on. If their base rate was more than twice normal their SCI rate could be as well.
    Not really. I would think vets going to the VA have a much, much higher rate of co-morbidities than the general population. After all, that is primarily why vets are being seen at the VA.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

I'm spinning after reading that VA article several times. If I wanted to tell someone that a SCI death rate is higher than the average person. What number do I use?
      "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Whitepaper: Evidence Related to COVID-19 in People Living With Spinal Injury
        https://nasciconsortium.org/wp-conte...OVID-FINAL.pdf

Take home messages about COVID-19 in people with SCI
        1. People with SCI are not at a higher risk of getting infected with the COVID-19 virus.
        2. The early symptoms people with SCI experience can often be confused with UTI.
        3. Cough and fever may not be as severe as compared to people who have COVID but do not have SCI.
        4. The severity of symptoms and disease course of COVID-19 in people with SCI, so far, is not as bad as initially expected.

Comment

• Norm
          Norm commented
          Editing a comment
          OMG, For once some good newss I can't believe it.
          Last edited by Norm; 15 Dec 2020, 9:27 PM.

I am a c2/c3 quadriplegic and have tested positive for covid. I have been taking tylenol for a low grade fever and the doctor suggested mucinex. Right now I don't feel bad, I just feel tired and have a cough.. My aide tested positive on Sunday which is why I was tested. My boyfriend tested negative, which surprised me. My other aides are coughing and congested so they got tested today. My boyfriend is my only caregiver now and we are trying to stay our distance. I breathe with a diaphragmatic pacer, which does not offer me a good deep breath like a ventilator. Every night I do go on my non-invasive ventilator to open up my lungs and get deep breaths. Sorry for rambling.

Comment

• Norm
          Norm commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Cynthia, I wish you the best. I'm in a similar situation with different nurses coming and going into my house.

Here is an excellent white paper describing studies done on people with SCI/D who have had COVID, as well as studies and publications in progress.

The North American Spinal Cord Injury Consortium (NASCIC) has the mission to bring about unified achievements in research, care, cure, and policy by supporting collaborative efforts across the spinal cord injury community.

The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on the SCI community this past year. In order to keep the SCI community informed, NASCIC has taken the initiative to put together a white paper of all current evidence-based information and knowledge about COVID-19 related to those living with SCI.

The white paper covers:
        • the concerns about the pandemic from people with SCI,
        • case studies with SCI who have contracted COVID-19, and
        • impacts of nationwide lockdowns due to COVID-19.

You can download a copy of the white paper, either in English or Spanish, here: https://nasciconsortium.org/covid-19-sci-whitepaper/

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thank you KLD

Comment

I just got out of the Hospital after 4 days for a UTI. I made it through two Covid tests one going in and one coming out. I'm feeling better than I did going in but I'm still not feeling that great. I hope I don't end up back in there. Plenty of Covid in the ER.

BTW I was shocked to see my Doctor listed a contributor to that NASCIC Covid paper.
            "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

I don't think there will be such a vaccine, but the mortality rate is low, so you don't have to worry. Soon it will all be over and we will forget about it. The regular vaccine will help us too!

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                SCI-Nurse commented
                Editing a comment
                What "regular" vaccine? Your statement makes no sense. (KLD)

Good 30 min video about the vaccine, (not SCI specific).
              https://academichealth.rutgers.edu/m...or-brian-strom

Comment

Another paper on SCI and COVID.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...-control_study
                • We compared clinical information between patients with SCI and able-bodied healthcare workers of the same center who tested positive for COVID-19.
                • 15 out of the 25 SCI patients admitted to the center and 17 out of the 69 healthcare workers tested positive for COVID-19.
                • Patients with SCI exhibited a significantly more advanced age and a higher prevalence of comorbidities.
                • Nevertheless, no significant differences in clinical expression of COVID-19 and treatment strategies were observed between the two groups.
                • All hospitalized subjects were treated in nonintensive care units and no deaths occurred in either group.

This study does not support the supposed notion that COVID-19 could exhibit atypical clinical features or a worse evolution in the frail population of people with SCI.

Comment

Originally posted by C5C6 View Post
                  This study does not support the supposed notion that COVID-19 could exhibit atypical clinical features or a worse evolution in the frail population of people with SCI.
                  I am sure that this small Italian study is small consolation for the family of one of my former patients who is currently on a ventilator and in an induced coma with COVID as we speak, and whose family has been told he is not expected to recover.

UPDATE: my friend died this afternoon (12/29/20) due to respiratory failure and COVID. He had a C7 SCI.

(KLD)
                  Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 29 Dec 2020, 10:49 PM.
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

I am sure that this small Italian study is small consolation for the family of one of my former patients who is currently on a ventilator and in an induced coma with COVID as we speak, and whose family has been told he is not expected to recover.

(KLD)
                    did I do something wrong on posting this? should I refrain from posting small studies?

Comment

• SCI-Nurse
                      SCI-Nurse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, but one small study like this does not prove that people with SCI do not suffer worse effects of COVID infection than do ABs. (KLD)

• C5C6
                      C5C6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know that it does not prove anything, that's why the study does not say they have proven anything. Neither did I. If you think the fact that I used bold and underline at the end suggests that, I will re format the text.

A few days ago you and I posted a white paper also containing small studies, and returning a similar suggestion. This previous white paper states "The severity of symptoms and disease course of COVID-19 in people with SCI, so far, is not as bad as initially expected".

Again, I'm not saying they prove anything. If I find small studies that suggest the opposite, I will also share them.
                  Working...
                  X