Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaccid bladder empty fully on its own?

Sci nurse, anyone? \
    can flaccid bladder empty fully on its own because i read that it starts to leak after a certain volume accumulates in bladder?

God bless you

My partner has a flaccid bladder, and it doesn't leak at all. It would just keep stretching to an unhealthy volume if he didn't empty it at an appropriate time.

Comment

agree with above response
      a flaccid bladder is like a water balloon that keeps filling up and stretching out
      if any leakage occurs it is overflow incontinence, no more urine can fill up the bladder and it overflows

pbr
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I see it leaks when it overflows but does it empty completely or is there alot of residual left in the bladder?

In that way, no need to cath?

Comment

yes most likely there is still urine in the bladder
          catheterization is necessary on a routine basis and/or prescription medication to relax the detrusor (opening from the bladder to the urethra) to let go of the urine

pbr
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks sci nurse.
            What exact circumstances are necessary so a person doesnt need to cath and has a safe reflex bladder to function on its on please?

Comment

On its own please

Comment

Sci nurse-please reply

Comment

Sweet tangerine,
                  so your partner never voids or urinates at all?

Comment

When I was in rehab 1982 they trained my bladder to void on reflex. Was able to avoid all or less than 100 mL by tapping it for decades. Finally my bladder gave out and was having issues with chronic UTIs. In the 21st century intermittent catheterization is recommended when possible, but the bottom line is you do not want residual urine in your bladder to grow bacteria.

Even if you do use a condom catheter and rely on reflex voiding, would make sure I emptied the bladder completely twice a day.

Unfortunately was over prescribed antibiotics for non-symptomatic urinary tract infections, followed by bad collection techniques. Luckily ran into a wonderful urologist who work with me understanding SCI and urinary tract infections for 25 years even visiting me in the hospital after retiring from a stroke. The bottom-line is that they are running out of antibiotics for my recent UTIs of MDR Pseudomonas.

Comment

Working...
                    X