Blister on my heel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blister on my heel

Yesterday, after my bath while putting on my pressure stockings I noticed a blister on my inner RH heel.
    I have no recollection of running hot water on it and besides, if I had there should be more evidence of burn(??)

I am having trouble putting these images in sequence.

Here is an image from today. It appears larger and longer.

And yesterday.

Are there any suggestions on the cause and recommendations for treatment?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by slow_runner; 21 Jan 2020, 8:08 PM.

Not sure what would have caused that SR. I cut the rear of my shoe off when I had one to give it air and no pressure. Did you buy new shoes?

Comment

I like Patrick's idea. I think there is something wrong with that shoe or it's fit anyway.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Hi Pat and Nonoise.
        I haven't seen new shoes in a while, preferring older, comfortable friends. I have a pair of rough n ready, past their use by date shoes for in the garden or shed that I slip on.
        I will give them the once over to see what may have caused this. It is a bit worrying.
        Previously I had some skin shedding in that region and just removed it, cleaned it up. Maybe a precursor to more serious matters?

Comment

Could be SR. May be a good idea to go see a doc. If it gets down to the bone, you could be in trouble.

Comment

I checked out the shoes and there is nothing apparent that would cause this. Although, we have had very hot weather. That coupled with pressure stockings in shoes may have set up some sweat induced reaction?
            I will give it until after the weekend unless I see further deterioration.

Anyway, here is some slightly relevant entertainment; a cover of a good song by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers made better by our own 'Underdogs'.
            Old but still good. Good dancing music for chair dwellers
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxAc7gXtT0

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
              I checked out the shoes and there is nothing apparent that would cause this. Although, we have had very hot weather. That coupled with pressure stockings in shoes may have set up some sweat induced reaction?
              I will give it until after the weekend unless I see further deterioration....
              I suspect your shoes because of my experience. I had a pair of old favorite pair of shoes that turned on me after a few years in the chair and had to get a size larger. The old shoes were causing a callous/corn on my little toe which pressed inward and hurt like heck as I have full sensation.

Great tune.
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You could be correct Nonoise. If it was hot water there would be a 'trail'. This is local.
                Never having had this problem before it is disconcerting not to know definitively.
                I have spoken with the spinal unit nurse and sent images.
                The 'Underdogs' were big news along with other local groups and singers when I was a teenager. There were loads of clubs to visit and seemingly every town or school hall had live music on the weekend.
                It was great time to be young.

Then the pub scene developed and under age teens had less venues to access live music legally.
                Last edited by slow_runner; 22 Jan 2020, 6:24 PM.

Comment

I had one like that a year or so ago. I just thoughtbit was front my foot moving a lot at night. I found the band aid brand blister bandaids worked very quickly. I also put a pillow under my legs so my heal did rest on the bed. Mine was gone in a few days. It was the first one in 5 years

Comment

Hello Lavender. I have an idea when this could have occurred.
                    At the moment I am making use of a pillow boot while sleeping to prevent any pressure risk.
                    A few days you say? I hope so

Comment

The blister needs to heel without getting infected and affecting the bone.The blister could be from pressure. Go to your doctor/wound doctor to help with healing. Don't pop it. I would put Bactroban over it and cover. Don/t wear that shoe.
                      CWO
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

DEFENITELY don't pop it! (unless you have unusually quick wound healing properties, unlike any gimp I know!)
                        I had a similar manifestation more under the heel which got deflated, became a huge chronic wound!
                        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                        NW NJ

Comment

I will be seeing someone at the medical centre today.
                          pfcs49 - did you determine the cause of your injury? I recall catching my foot getting caught up by my castor when my foot dropped; it has happened more than a few times previously.

Comment

Originally posted by slow_runner View Post
                            I will be seeing someone at the medical centre today.
                            pfcs49 - did you determine the cause of your injury? I recall catching my foot getting caught up by my castor when my foot dropped; it has happened more than a few times previously.
                            Wound Care insisted it was caused by pressure. Didn't seem possible to me. Mine was 1"1/8 diameter. Once it was punctured, the outer skin fell quickly away and it became a terrible wound in a bad location.
                            I shouldn't say this, but it was the straw that broke the back! I have had wounds on the right foot most of my 25 years in the chair (and none on the other), and 5 years ago they became much more troublesome/non healing, and started dominating my life which lead to the decision 3 months ago to amputate at the knee. I pretty much got my life back excepting finding how much it affected transfers, which I am handling. Kind of like getting hurt again and learning how to go forward. But I certainly appreciate not having to do wound care every damn day!
                            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                            NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                              DEFENITELY don't pop it! (unless you have unusually quick wound healing properties, unlike any gimp I know!)
                              I had a similar manifestation more under the heel which got deflated, became a huge chronic wound!

^^^^^^ THIS !!! WISH I WOULD'VE LISTENED YEARS AGO even before i was hurt... They'll heal fast, water goes out, skin gets tight and peels off. Good as new. I've had 3 of the same exact blisters in 9 years. New shoes. Never an issue because I didn't pop them. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X