No announcement yet.

Peristeen New User with Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did and am slowly calling them all without much luck.

So hoping some of the folks on here who are getting supplied trouble free will share a recommnedation.

Originally posted by [URL="https://www.carecure.net/member/7189-sci-nurse"
    SCI-Nurse[/URL] ]Suggest you call the Peristeen Care Center at Coloplast. They should be able to help you find a vendor in your state: https://www.coloplast.us/care/

(KLD)

Comment

I get my supplies from Product Search - SCI Supply. They are a Canadian shop but will ship to US with a doctor's prescription.

Comment

I have had two medical supply houses both drop Peristeen. One seemed disorganized and incompetent with regard to records and billing. They had difficulty billing insurance correctly for reimbursement whereas other vendors had few problems. Good riddance. It appeared that the other supplier did not have enough Peristeen accounts to make it sufficiently profitable versus the effort for stocking, supplying and billing.

My new supplier is very efficient but only covers a few states in the mid-east coast. However, my new supplier also charges much more - the total billed to insurance is $24,000 per year. That is what I would pay out of pocket. Incredible. Just for a fancy enema system. I still am holding my breath to be sure that my insurance will cover all - or almost all - of the cost.

Do call the Peristeen Care Center at Coloplast. They will negotiate with the vendors. Be sure they know what your insurance is to they can be sure the new vendor will accept your insurance.

I also continue using Enemeez. Sometimes digital stimulation alone will prompt defecation, but can leave some stool that can interfere with the Peristeen balloon. The Enemeez seems to be more effective.

Comment

Peristeen is a great system - when it works. However, the honeymoon is over. Once again I will note the persistent quality control issues I am experiencing with Peristeen.

Yesterday required 5 catheters to complete one irrigation. At only three air pumps, two completely deflated before I had pumped in 100 ml of water! Also at three air pumps, one popped at 200 ml. At 4 air pumps, one partially deflated and was ejected at about 400 mll of water. Folks, that should not happen.

I will note that, due to my somewhat loose anal sphincters, I require 4 air pumps in order to retain the catheter. After insertion, I begin with 3 pumps of air and then add a fourth when I have pumped about 400 ml of water. I also try to irrigate with a full liter of water.

I may have to begin keeping a detailed log recording why each catheter failed and also image each catheter in order to capture lot numbers, etc. I just have not wanted to be bothered doing this as it is a lot of inconvenient work. However, without the details general complaints are likely to be ignored.

Also, I will begin asking for replacement for some of the catheters. I do not like to be a complainer, but this is just too expensive not to have the equipment work as it should.

Comment

I provided the SCI doctor who prescribed my Peristeen system with feedback about the Peristeen quality control. She also finds that disturbing and has asked for more data as I keep records of the Peristeen catheter performance. It is a shame about the quality control issues as I love Peristeen when it works correctly.

Meanwhile, as I need a "Plan B," I also have begun administering enemas with a double balloon enema catheter attached to a hanging enema bag full of saline. I get a perfect seal with the two balloons and do not leak a drop. As the system is reusable, the cost is a tiny fraction of the Peristeen system. I have discussed this in detail with my SCI doc, who has approved. Please note that I am not recommending this for anyone else. It works for me but requires some agility and care in administration. This system originally assumed the assistance of a caregiver. I will use the double balloon catheter enemas alternating with the Peristeen irrigations to reduce the cost. I guess it is "enamas" versus "irrigations."

As I accumulate data about the Peristeen catheters I will share that information with my Peristeen representative both to request some replacements and to help in improving the catheter quality control issues. This will take a while as I will need to accumulate a lot of data points for a trend to be evident.

Best wishes to everyone and let me know how you are doing.

Comment

You are correct. The quality issues are concerning. Please keep us posted on what happens.
              ckf
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hey NW-Will

Also posting here as don't know if you get notified if posting a comment rather than a post.

This is a great thread for people using peristeeteen.

I was just wanting to double check, do you do a digi stim after having the enemeez in for 20 minutes or do you insert the water from the peristeen while the Enemeez is still inside and then digi stim?

Thanks,
                Rob

Comment

Coloplast has introduced the Peristeen Plus, an upgraded design from the original version. I have not tried the Plus.
                  Does anyone know if the connectors of the catheters of the original design are compatible with the Plus version?

ETA: Got my answer. They're not.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4FrgNGNCR4
                  stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Hi Rob,

I insert the enemeez for 20 minutes and then insert the Peristeen, no digital stim..... Then wait around 15 minutes. Then do a digistim at the end to make sure everything is clear.. been working good for quite a few months now.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by rob1 View Post
                    Hey NW-Will

Also posting here as don't know if you get notified if posting a comment rather than a post.

This is a great thread for people using peristeeteen.

I was just wanting to double check, do you do a digi stim after having the enemeez in for 20 minutes or do you insert the water from the peristeen while the Enemeez is still inside and then digi stim?

Thanks,
                    Rob

Comment

Hi NW-Will

Ok thought so, thanks for the info.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X