Colostomy bag advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would agree that a 2-piece appliance is much easier to manage than a one-piece. Who recommended that one-piece to you?
    (KLD)
    An ostomy nurse recommended a one-piece closed end disposable for me. As a quad it is the easiest to use. Works great unless I have lots of diarrhea.

Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
    I have some fingers use in my right hand.
    how do you empty your drainable bag and into what when you have lots of watery diarrhea?
    Last edited by beckman; 12-06-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I take one Immodium a day for loose or watery stool. Has worked for me for years.

Comment

Originally posted by beckman View Post
        An ostomy nurse recommended a one-piece closed end disposable for me. As a quad it is the easiest to use. Works great unless I have lots of diarrhea.

how do you empty your drainable bag and into what when you have lots of watery diarrhea?
        Kitchen trash bag.

Comment

why do you think you one piece system is better for quad? And what happens when you have a lot of diarrhea? Will the bag ever pop off if it is too full?

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
            pukkap I am a quad I manage easily but c6c7 I use 2 ps wafer or flange but I use the bag type where I peel of and just stick to wafer the snap kind like pfcs has I could not hande not strong enough hands
            I am a gal and they sit right below pants but I wear pull up elastic waist I have had 13 years never an accident in public only 3 ever at home and it was my fault for not being better prepared
            I always lay a garbage bag over lap protects me just in case
            Thank you for the advice, do you mind me asking what kind of bag do you use? And how often do you have to change it?

Comment

colorplast wafer that we have to cut to size it really easy I got 1 of those hole cutters my size and punch them out or rather caregiver does colorplast pouches that have a tape I pull off stick on wafer

I change by what my body does sometime 1 a day if dirheaa or loose several time a day I have scrip for 90 bags a month.

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
                colorplast wafer that we have to cut to size it really easy I got 1 of those hole cutters my size and punch them out or rather caregiver does colorplast pouches that have a tape I pull off stick on wafer

I change by what my body does sometime 1 a day if dirheaa or loose several time a day I have scrip for 90 bags a month.
                Sounds like the only difference between the 1-piece and 2-piece is the wafer. My 1-piece sticks directly to my skin (I use a skin barrier first). I change it when needed if I have diarrhea it gets changed more often.

Comment

I too am a fan of the two piece type. I like vjls use the Coloplast cut to fit wafer but I have found that their convex wafer works better for me as far as keeping stool away from my body due to sitting in the chair. I get 60 bags a month and knock on wood I have never ran out in the 18 months I have been wearing the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by pukkap View Post
                    why do you think you one piece system is better for quad? And what happens when you have a lot of diarrhea? Will the bag ever pop off if it is too full?
                    the one piece just peels off no need to snap onto anything so I find it easy to change it with my limited hand function.

Yes it can pop off in extreme circumstances. In the last year I've dealt with occasional explosive watery diarrhea from c.diff where I've had to change bags multiple times in a few minutes. With the closed end pouch you have to change the pouch quickly. Fortunately I was at home and was able to manage.

That's why I'd like to be able to use a drainable pouch at times if I can figure out a way to empty one without pouring the mess all over myself!

Comment

the one piece just peels off no need to snap onto anything so I find it easy to change it with my limited hand function.

Yes it can pop off in extreme circumstances. In the last year I've dealt with occasional explosive watery diarrhea from c.diff where I've had to change bags multiple times in a few minutes. With the closed end pouch you have to change the pouch quickly. Fortunately I was at home and was able to manage.

That's why I'd like to be able to use a drainable pouch at times if I can figure out a way to empty one without pouring the mess all over myself!
                      Eckman that is was a problem for me also my solution was garbage sack over lap and wheel then 2 or 3 Walmart inglres plastic sacks under pouch with totilet paper uder the so when I pull pouch off the toilet paper

does not let it back under wafer I dispose of [pouch in sack if I have more come out its contained in the sack and I can quickly throw it up on or in sink while I have another sack already in place for the unexpected

since the sci nurse recommend probactics I have had better stool lessrunny

Comment

More strongly considering getting a colostomy. I would be fully dependent upon a caretaker for applying, maintaining, emptying, etc. the bag. A couple of questions: 1. When the bag needs emptied, does the caretaker 'pop' the bag off to empty it in the toilet, or is there another way it is done? 2. I work full-time, and typically only have caregivers morning and evening. Will that present a problem as far as maintaining it properly?

Comment

Originally posted by landrover View Post
                          More strongly considering getting a colostomy. I would be fully dependent upon a caretaker for applying, maintaining, emptying, etc. the bag. A couple of questions: 1. When the bag needs emptied, does the caretaker 'pop' the bag off to empty it in the toilet, or is there another way it is done? 2. I work full-time, and typically only have caregivers morning and evening. Will that present a problem as far as maintaining it properly?
                          That is going to be challenging. A colostomy is nothing like bc where you have a set day and time. With a colostomy stool can come out at anytime. So if your caregiver emptied or changed it in the morning there is no way to know if it will need to be emptied or changed throughput the day. People irrigate which I have never done before but I believe it empties you out so you can go a full day with not having to empty or change the bag.

Comment

For myself, I have a descending Sigmoid loop colostomy and use the Hollister two piece setup. To off set loose stool etc., I take one Imodium tablet in the morning. It helps firm up the stool. If I had a ascending, Right side, colostomy, I'd use a one piece setup due to it being more liquidly and easier to drain into a container or toilet.

I keep several bag changes in my bag under the seat. The Hollister comes with brown disposable bags. I put a new bagg along with two paper towels folded up inside. I have a washcloth also to place over my lap, under the flange, then use one paper towel over it. I place the the brown bag over the the one to be changed and under the flange. I quickly unsnap the old bag and let it fall into the the brown bag. Then use the second papertowel to wipe the stoma and put new bag on. Takes a matter of seconds to change out. I always keep hand wipes in my van to clean the hands after.

Comment

Working...
                            X