level of sensation rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

level of sensation rising

For these 32 years that I have been quadriplegic, I have always said that my level of sensation is my nipple line. But last night we were checking my sensation, and it seems to be a couple inches higher, near my armpit. Can the level of sensation over time rise? Or have I just been mistaken all these years about my initial sensation level?

This is not normal, and is actually a cardinal sign of an ascending syrinx (post-traumatic syringomyelia). You need to see your primary care physician and get referred to a good neurosurgeon who is familiar with syrinx diagnosis, monitoring, and surgical management.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I hope they find a cause for your sensation rising, and are able to deal with it.

I have had symptoms of an ascending syrinx (increasing pain intensities, new pain sensations, change in sensation at the top of my back, etc.), but no ascending syrinx. I have a small syrinx, checked by MRI at least annually, and it has not changed. There has been change below it over the years (ongoing scar tissue formation, I was told), but the syrinx remains the same size and at the same level.

My arm function gets worse, because my shoulder blades stick more and more, and my pains in that area keep getting worse.
      Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

This happened to me, started around T10 and wound up around T3. Probably due to a syrinx, which was found on an MRI. I chose not to operate and and it stopped getting worse.

Comment

Working...
        X