Suprapubic catheter leakage "cure"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprapubic catheter leakage "cure"?

I have been dealing with leakage around my catheter for about 5 years now and I think that I have found a drug combination that works. I have tried nearly every medicine to stop the leakage (and when I say leakage, I mean pouring out at times) but nothing seemed to work or at least work well.

Anyhow, after my urology appointment on October 9th, I started taking Vesicare and Myrbetriq instead of Ditropan and Myrbetriq. So now I take 10mg of Vesicare in the morning and 50mg of Myrbetriq at night and so far I have only three mild leaks in the 3 weeks that I've been taking them.

I'm not ready to celebrate yet, but I am optimistic and I thought that I would share with others in the same leaky boat.

Mybetriq can be used with an anticholinergic like Vesicare. Start with 25 mg and if need more then I crease to 50 mg. Watch for elevated blood pressure. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Mybetriq can be used with an anticholinergic like Vesicare. Start with 25 mg and if need more then I crease to 50 mg. Watch for elevated blood pressure. CWO
      I actually have lower than normal blood pressure but I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks...

Comment

I am glad I saw this post this morning. I will definitely give Vesicare a try since I also have been having terrible problems with bladder spasms and bladder voiding/emptying causing an obvious mess and damaging my skin. I have also been using ditropan for years along with 50 MG of MYRB ETRIQ

sounds like we are going through a lot of the same things and even have similar injuries. My injury was also C4 C5 and I have been using hey suprapubic catheter for years. For the longest time I didn?t have terrible bladder spasms and didn?t have this leaking/emptying but now I do and have to deal with it.

as I said in my other post this morning, a recent urine sample came back with high levels of bacteria that could be at the levels of an infection though at the time I didn?t feel that bad. I?ve also been doing gentamicin installation but I?m questioning its effectiveness. The latest solution for my urologist is to refer me to a infectious disease doctor to see if they can help in anyway and evaluate me.
        C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
          I am glad I saw this post this morning. I will definitely give Vesicare a try since I also have been having terrible problems with bladder spasms and bladder voiding/emptying causing an obvious mess and damaging my skin. I have also been using ditropan for years along with 50 MG of MYRB ETRIQ

sounds like we are going through a lot of the same things and even have similar injuries. My injury was also C4 C5 and I have been using hey suprapubic catheter for years. For the longest time I didn?t have terrible bladder spasms and didn?t have this leaking/emptying but now I do and have to deal with it.

as I said in my other post this morning, a recent urine sample came back with high levels of bacteria that could be at the levels of an infection though at the time I didn?t feel that bad. I?ve also been doing gentamicin installation but I?m questioning its effectiveness. The latest solution for my urologist is to refer me to a infectious disease doctor to see if they can help in anyway and evaluate me.
          I have had a few days of leakage since posting this but it has mostly been on days when I have had bowel pressure pushing on the bladder. Unless anything changes I will continue using Vesicare and Myrbetriq... its nice to be able to drink more after years of purposely dehydrating myself.

Comment

I am actually on till toltoridine and myrbetriq....not ditropan
            C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

At the start of the year my insurance informed me that they would no longer pay for my Vesicare. They gave me a month to pick another drug from their list. The first drug was unavailable from any of my local pharmacies. Some of the others my urologist didn't seem too keen on and it looked as though I would have to pay for Vesicare myself. Anyhow, we finally tried getting Toviaz. Luckily it went through and much to my surprise it is working better than the Vesicare. I just received my third prescription and I have only had 4-5 small leakages. I take my Myrbetriq 50mg at night and Toviaz 4mg in the morning. Hopefully it will keep working and insurance will continue to pay for it.

Comment

Trospium 20 mg bid.
                CWO
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  Trospium 20 mg bid.
                  CWO
                  That was the one they tried first but none of my local pharmacies could get it. When we found it in a neighboring town, there was endless back and forth of pre-authorization and whatnot. We tried for two days but I finally was like, "eff it, what other meds will work?" That eventually lead me to Toviaz and so far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X