Quad poop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quad poop?

I have a friend who has become a quad from cancer. She is taking opioids for pain and its made her constipated. She was a para so was use to digital stim for her bowel program.
    Now she needs to know how quads poop? Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

water water water and perhaps a stool softener and suppository/dig

im sure KLD or CWO will be along here soon with there outstanding wealth of info.
    Last edited by air ohs; 2 Nov 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Enemeez OR Magic Bullet then digital stimulation. Diet and stool softeners. Keep stool formed. No hard lumps. CWO
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 2 Nov 2019, 3:14 AM.
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks. Keep the info coming. How does a quad with floppy fingers do digital stim?
        Last edited by baldfatdad; 2 Nov 2019, 8:31 PM.

Comment

You get help
          "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
            Thanks. Keep the info coming. How does a quad with floppy fingers do digital stim?
            Some use a digital stimulation device (also a suppository inserter), which usually requires tenodesis. Those with higher injuries generally require a caregiver for this. Examples:

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Ther.../dp/B07PF1DPNB
            https://www.4mdmedical.com/sure-grip...-inserter.html

If using Enemeez, I have yet to see a device that allows someone with a cervical injury to independently insert this.

If this person is on opioid pain medication, in addition to a stool softener taken routinely (1000 mg. daily of DSS or Colace) they may want to routinely include a stimulant laxative (senna or bisacodyl tablets) and/or osmotic laxative (Miralax, milk of magnesia, etc.). Generally not recommended for long term use in SCI, but for someone like your friend, this would be a good remedy.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Thanks again
              BFD

Comment

I have a dil stick and a suppository inserter for magic bullets, and I have triceps and pretty decent tenodesis. What am I unsure of, however, is how to do disimpaction if needed. My current bowel program is finally working reasonably well (bedside with a caregiver doing everything), but sometimes digital stimulation isn't enough and disimpaction is needed. How do I address this if I want to become independent?
                Last edited by ejl10; 11 Feb 2020, 9:32 AM.
                C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

BFD, i assume you suggested weed for pain? Because I find it does not affect bowel function.

Comment

Re: disimpaction. This should be done by your provider at the beginning of bowel program. It will make bp more successful- meaning stool will move down and dig stim should remove, If not, repeat disimpaction. Be sure to have her use a large amount of lubricant.
                    All suppositories and enemeez should be used after disimpaction. The medication must be in contact with wall for absorption and to work.
                    If stool is really hard you might want to increase stool softener and use twice a day. Docusate can be used by SCI =600 mg twice a day. Of course you should start low and go up as needed.
                    CWO

Comment

Thanks everyone. You can close this thread my girl friend died.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the reply CWO. I guess I expected to hear that, but was hoping there might be some trick or technique that would enable me to do it independently.

So sorry for bring this back to the top baldfatdad.
                        C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Sorry for your loss. CWO

Comment

Working...
                          X