Magnesium citrate? How to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium citrate? How to use?

As a cleanser, magnesium citrate has been recommended to me for me from the doctor. After numerous various medications used to reduce constipation ? I?m hesitant before taking it. Has anyone had any experience or recommendations on how best to use the supplement and time it appropriately?

I've used it just one time because I was severely backed up from a hospital stay. Bought a 12 oz. (I think that was the size) from Shoprite. It was their brand. Drank the whole bottle, took me about a half hour. Not too bad drinking it, had much worse. It took about an hour or two before the action started. It certainly worked and cleaned me out. I probably could of drank a half bottle and got the same result.

Comment

I've taken magnesium citrate tablets as a vitamin supplement on and off for about six years. They aren't as harsh for a full clean out but they do seem to help retain water in the bowel and help keep things chugging along.

I think you can get them at a better price if you go to a pharmacy or health food store.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Magnes.../dp/B012T97SDQ

Comment

Hey thank you. I picked up the tablets. If you had a 7:30 AM program – what time would you take them to ensure or reduce incidents of incontinence?

Comment

In terms of "action"; was it two hours of movement or more like four? Have had pretty much nonstop G.I. issues and do everything I can to reduce the pain, aberrant bloating and constipation. Never had to deal with it for over a decade and 1/2 of injury. Now almost daily issue.

Comment

I recommend it if people are extremely constipated- a rescue medication
            i don not recommend it for routine bowel programs
            If you need a strong laxative try miralax or lactulose
            regular program equals regular results
            pbr
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post
              In terms of "action"; was it two hours of movement or more like four? Have had pretty much nonstop G.I. issues and do everything I can to reduce the pain, aberrant bloating and constipation. Never had to deal with it for over a decade and 1/2 of injury. Now almost daily issue.
              All I remember is if I had to use it again that I wouldn't plan on doing anything for the day/night. Other than taking care of the business.

Comment

I agree with Rusty, stay near the throne. DO NOT TAKE PRIOR TO GETTING IN BED. When it starts to work, it WORKS. It was explosive for me the 1 time I used it (pre injury). Had to jump in shower due to back splash. A few swigs from bottle was all I needed.
                Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
                Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19 View Post
                  Hey thank you. I picked up the tablets. If you had a 7:30 AM program – what time would you take them to ensure or reduce incidents of incontinence?
                  Chaz I didn't mean to mislead you. I take mag citrate tabs daily to stay regular, every other day, but not as a laxative.

If you need laxative advice to use instructions by posters above.

Comment

I have the capsules. Thinking 6am w/water. Hope to be free around 10.

Comment

I would not rely on any laxative to be exactly on schedule. Do you use the magic Bullet or have you tried Enemeez.
                      WE save Mag Citrate when the other isn't working. Once you start taking laxative(s) daily, you will always have to always use laxatives. WE try stool softener, Enemeez ( or Magic Bullet) and possibly Senna if mild laxative needed daily.
                      CWO
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yes- I use Magic Bullet, MiraLAX and Dulcolax. this is the current suggestion by the G.I. physician. Although I am beginning to think that this is way too many "lax" medications and I don't like taking pharmaceuticals. However without these it appears that I quickly run into even more problems. I had in ileus to deal with and some other issues. Fine line.

Comment

Again Mag citrate occasionally if above mentioned not working but as a routine with the above- why take miralax and Bisacodyl and add another laxative. Try enemeez instead of the Magic bullet.(www.enemeez.com). They will send you free samples. You can use 1-3. Enemeez is more natural and is not a chemical irritant. CWO

Comment

mag citrate = liquid metal.
                            nasty stuff

Comment

Working...
                            X