Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone go to Chiropractor .... what are your thoughts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I have read in the paper that the neck cracking by the chiropractors lead to stroke in elderly. This article was for able bodies. People with SCI should be very careful. I went to a chiropractor at the beginning to help with pain but he did not want to touch me. I had a neck brace then but then pain went away later.

    Comment


      #17
      The only type of chiropractor I would see is one who uses an activator tool. This is not too invasive. I would totally avoid chiropractic care that involves drop tables or physical manipulation with their hands.
      www.myquadriplegia.com

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by ouch View Post
        The only type of chiropractor I would see is one who uses an activator tool. This is not too invasive. I would totally avoid chiropractic care that involves drop tables or physical manipulation with their hands.
        Referring back to my days in chiropractic college, most chiros scoff at the use of an activator tool. It's not "real" chiropractic. Similarly, if there's no "audible" when delivering an adjustment, was the patient truly adjusted? And what is the goal of adjustments: to align the spine or restore mobility? These are just a sampling of the super-scientific questions that get asked and opinions that get bandied about inside the sausage-making facility. And I shouldn't say science when chiropractic refers to itself as a philosophy (except for those that don't!). Caveat emptor never had greater meaning.
        stephen@bike-on.com

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
          Referring back to my days in chiropractic college, most chiros scoff at the use of an activator tool. It's not "real" chiropractic. Similarly, if there's no "audible" when delivering an adjustment, was the patient truly adjusted? And what is the goal of adjustments: to align the spine or restore mobility? These are just a sampling of the super-scientific questions that get asked and opinions that get bandied about inside the sausage-making facility. And I shouldn't say science when chiropractic refers to itself as a philosophy (except for those that don't!). Caveat emptor never had greater meaning.
          My own experience with the chiropractors I stayed with was very different. They insisted on xrays, they were pretty humble about their limitations, and they used activators. I did encounter some idiots while traveling, one of whom hurt me. I've walked out of several offices without paying or getting care when it became clear the person was incompetent either ethically or professionally. Except for my current practitioner they have also been generous with their time and offered sliding scales.

          I am now a high risk patient and am vigilant about getting the gentlest of care. A transverse process could break, a vertebra could crack. It is my choice to get care because it improves my comfort a lot. Could I live to regret it? Sure, but this is true of many allopathic medical procedures as well. The care we get depends on the competence of the doctor we see on the particular day we see them.

          Comment


            #20
            Agree with crags above I would not allow manipulation over areas where spinal surgery or damage has occurred without consulting a physiatrist

            pbr
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Agree with crags above I would not allow manipulation over areas where spinal surgery or damage has occurred without consulting a physiatrist

              pbr
              Definitely. Any practitioner who thought it ok to manipulate a fusion is, in my opinion, dumber than a rock.

              Comment

              Working...
              X