In need of possible inpatient mental health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of possible inpatient mental health care

I?m struggling with benzodiazepine dependency. I?ve been on them practically my whole duration being a part of this forum. It started with an Rx in autumn of 2006 for sleep, and was never warned about the ramifications of chronic use, doctors kept readily dispensing them. Now a psychiatrist wants to not refill my Valium. She did a genetics test on me to see how well I respond to antidepressants, and not surprisingly, most won?t do anything for my Major Depressive Disorder. I?ve Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety (with occasional panic attacks), PTSD, and a dependency to benzodiazepines. Truthfully, I don?t know what to do.

I spent 24 hours in an emergency room in July 2018 awaiting for a place to be sent for inpatient psychiatric care. They told me they could find no place in the state to send me and sent me home.

Do you know of any facilities that can cater to mental health and the needs of the spinal cord injured?

Regards,
    Todd

I dunno about where to find help, but I sure hope you can. Good luck, man.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I don't either but hoping one of the nurses here can provide you the recommendation you need. Hang in there Todd!

Comment

I don’t know where you can find help but I would suggest reaching out to case management at some of the big rehabs and see if they’ve got any suggestions. Can the psychiatrist not coordinate referrals? You may wind up needing to look for a hospital inpatient substance abuse rehab for detox and then transition to intensive outpatient for mental health. There’s a facility in Nebraska - QLI - where a friend of mine went to post-acute rehab and they were very proactive about getting him off benzos and opiates, but my understanding is that they are not primarily mental health, although well connected and resourceful but also quite costly, although anything inpatient is. Best wishes and take care.

Comment

Thank you all for the lovely replies. I’ve reached out to a place in LaPlace I hope may be a fit. The man apologized to me for my troubles finding inpatient care as the American Disabilities Act demands places avail themselves to the disabled. I indicated I do my own self-care provided the bathroom will work out for me. I’m looking forward to working with this gentleman to possibly getting myself in treatment.

Comment

Just got back from my home group AA meeting and visit to the Bay of Pigs for the cholesterol torpedoes (Chester Diner)
            You might find AA supportive of your addiction. There are many addicts in AA. There's also NA (Narctocs Annonymous) but many find AA more supportive and effective.
            Good luck with this!
            You may find that it turns out to be a big relaxation exercise.
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
              Just got back from my home group AA meeting and visit to the Bay of Pigs for the cholesterol torpedoes (Chester Diner)
              You might find AA supportive of your addiction. There are many addicts in AA. There's also NA (Narctocs Annonymous) but many find AA more supportive and effective.
              Good luck with this!
              You may find that it turns out to be a big relaxation exercise.
              I may ultimately do that post-acute treatment for the social aspect. Being that alcohol and benzodiazepines work on the same receptors and function biochemically alike, I may find I have more in common with AA than I know.

Comment

I’m so sorry Todd to be able to offer no help, but I send a huge hug and all my best wishes that you find what you need.

Comment

Do you really have an addiction? Or are you just dependent on the medication?

if you’ve been on benzos for 13 years and you’re taking them daily you’re definitely physically dependent on them (as anyone would be). An addiction means you’re using more than prescribed, overusing despite adverse consequences, getting extra benzos from the street, drinking on top of taking them, etc.

the reason I ask is it might be easier/harder to get inpatient treatment depending on what exactly you need it for.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                    Do you really have an addiction? Or are you just dependent on the medication?

if you’ve been on benzos for 13 years and you’re taking them daily you’re definitely physically dependent on them (as anyone would be). An addiction means you’re using more than prescribed, overusing despite adverse consequences, getting extra benzos from the street, drinking on top of taking them, etc.

the reason I ask is it might be easier/harder to get inpatient treatment depending on what exactly you need it for.
                    No, I’ve always taken as prescribed by one provider at a time. Sadly, it can still be deemed addiction, even in judgmental ways. I find myself just as dependent on antidepressants, even if not as addictive and severe. Psychoactive substances are awful when you need to come down.

In fact, at my peak, I was taken 4mg of Xanax a day. Now I’m just on 10mg of Valium. It’s a drastic difference, but my doctor is insisting to put me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      I’m so sorry Todd to be able to offer no help, but I send a huge hug and all my best wishes that you find what you need.
                      Thank you, that’s so kind of you.

Comment

Funklab,

It’s amazing the clarity I’ve received not being at my peak of use, even if used properly and prescribed, these drugs change you. Not being at such a peak on my benzodiazepine use, I do reflect on some of my past here. �� I’d like to believe I brought people joy and laughter here, even if I got too mouthy and combative. I take accountability, of course, but when your brain is full of medicine that releases you of your inhibitions, you become so reactive.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Todd View Post
                          Funklab,

It?s amazing the clarity I?ve received not being at my peak of use, even if used properly and prescribed, these drugs change you. Not being at such a peak on my benzodiazepine use, I do reflect on some of my past here. 😆 I?d like to believe I brought people joy and laughter here, even if I got too mouthy and combative. I take accountability, of course, but when your brain is full of medicine that releases you of your inhibitions, you become so reactive.
                          You are going to be just fine. You have accepted, asked for help and you see your mind clearing up. Honestly as Phil said AA is available, besides except for a tiny donation a dollar or so each visit it is free, effective and takes newbies.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Todd View Post
                            No, I?ve always taken as prescribed by one provider at a time. Sadly, it can still be deemed addiction, even in judgmental ways. I find myself just as dependent on antidepressants, even if not as addictive and severe. Psychoactive substances are awful when you need to come down.

In fact, at my peak, I was taken 4mg of Xanax a day. Now I?m just on 10mg of Valium. It?s a drastic difference, but my doctor is insisting to put me off.
                            If you?ve just been taking it as prescribed you?re not addicted. Addiction requires some kind of maladaptive behavior and negative consequences due to YOUR actions. If you don?t have that and you try to get into drug rehab (not sure that?s what you?re looking for or not), that would explain why you were getting denied.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                              If you?ve just been taking it as prescribed you?re not addicted. Addiction requires some kind of maladaptive behavior and negative consequences due to YOUR actions. If you don?t have that and you try to get into drug rehab (not sure that?s what you?re looking for or not), that would explain why you were getting denied.
                              Oh, no! I’m not getting denied. My psychiatrist last year tried to detox me in conventional setting. Then tried to find me inpatient care when I was having trouble adapting to the changes in my regimen. This year, she wanted to put me in an inpatient facility so I’d have more support fully coming off. All times she was unsuccessful in finding places that could accommodate me or she told me she wasn’t being given sufficient answers when asking, so she didn’t want to send me some place far off, only to find myself unable to make due.

However, drug rehabs and mental facilities are used for people who are iatrogenically dependent on medications and needing help either with withdrawal or adapting to life without them. Google benzodiazepine dependency and read the horror stories.

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2019/02...-rejected.html

Comment

Working...
                              X