Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In need of possible inpatient mental health care

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
    OK! Put up a score for the home team.

    And keep collecting winning cards!
    Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I'm glad to see this, Todd!

    **big hugs**
    I’ll be giving you both calls, I promise you. I’ll enjoy sharing stories and catching up. We have Tropical Storm on the way! Sigh. I’m north of the lake so flooding, if any occurs, will likely not affect me; the house I live in didn’t flood in Katrina.

    Comment


      #47
      Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
      Todd, I haven't commented because I don't know anything about benzo withdrawal or where to go for help, but this new approach sounds so reasonable and humane that I just wanted to chime in and say how glad I am that your cousin has pointed you in this direction. I wish you the very best and hope that you and the neurologist will form a great therapeutic team.
      Bonnette,

      Benzodiazepine dependency and withdrawal can be horrific. Many in the benzo community believe it?s barbaric to even force iatrogenically dependent patients off of them because it?s so brutal, especially if they?ve always been compliant and taken only what they?ve been prescribed. Many who become dependent want off of them because they find they?re only doing worse or getting sicker on the drugs, so they opt to taper down because staying on is also just as uncomfortable. Patients like me found them tolerable and I didn?t notice myself feeling badly on them, or if I did, I just accepted it as a new way of living. I think my behavioral and cognitive changes were worse than any physical symptoms taking them as I enjoyed how well they allow you to sleep, though studies show REM and SWS sleep are often inhibited while taking them.

      Yesterday was World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day!
      Attached Files

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by Le Todd View Post
        Bonnette,

        Benzodiazepine dependency and withdrawal can be horrific. Many in the benzo community believe it?s barbaric to even force iatrogenically dependent patients off of them because it?s so brutal, especially if they?ve always been compliant and taken only what they?ve been prescribed. Many who become dependent want off of them because they find they?re only doing worse or getting sicker on the drugs, so they opt to taper down because staying on is also just as uncomfortable. Patients like me found them tolerable and I didn?t notice myself feeling badly on them, or if I did, I just accepted it as a new way of living. I think my behavioral and cognitive changes were worse than any physical symptoms taking them as I enjoyed how well they allow you to sleep, though studies show REM and SWS sleep are often inhibited while taking them.

        Yesterday was World Benzodiazepine Awareness Day!
        Wow, Todd...withdrawal symptoms lasting months or years! I remember when Valium was first marketed, what a miracle drug it was claimed to be - and it spawned so many others. I'm really, really glad that you're going to be getting help with Valium withdrawal from a neurologist who is enlightened about what's involved!
        MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

        Comment


          #49

          Comment


            #50
            hey... always dig your music.
            About 3 years ago I started using atavan for pain. Dr's permission. The real pain was quitting the "pain pills"
            tom


            Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

            Comment


              #51
              Agreed, dependency is NOT addiction, period.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
                Wow, Todd...withdrawal symptoms lasting months or years! I remember when Valium was first marketed, what a miracle drug it was claimed to be - and it spawned so many others. I'm really, really glad that you're going to be getting help with Valium withdrawal from a neurologist who is enlightened about what's involved!
                It?s a miracle drug because it works so well, almost too well. However, it?s not intended to be taken chronically despite the fact that many people who take benzodiazepines are on daily use prescriptions of them. Thus, the doctor creates a patient dependent on it, and it?s also a controlled substance. Doctors can decide at any time to not refill and leave you devastated in the wake. I?ve read horror stories of people being forced to cold turkey detox at home because a doctor abruptly stops their prescription, then they end up in the ER because of grand mal seizures.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                  Thank you.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by da lurker View Post
                    hey... always dig your music.
                    About 3 years ago I started using atavan for pain. Dr's permission. The real pain was quitting the "pain pills"
                    Tom, I empathize entirely. Not to be disrespectful, but it caught my eye: Are you truly a believer in a flat earth? I promise not to mock you, I?m asking, so it would be unfair of me to do so, even if I disagree.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by Pucker Up View Post
                      Agreed, dependency is NOT addiction, period.
                      Precisely! As Dr. Huff says, if it can happen to an M.D., it could happen to anyone: https://www.buzzsprout.com/265442/1370830

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X