In need of possible inpatient mental health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
    You are going to be just fine. You have accepted, asked for help and you see your mind clearing up. Honestly as Phil said AA is available, besides except for a tiny donation a dollar or so each visit it is free, effective and takes newbies.
    Smiles.

Comment

From my experience reading SCI forums 10 mg/day is far from excessive and this particular doctor may be one of the thousands who has suddenly gone FDA correct and trying to wean all patients from benzodiazepines, weather it is best for the individual or not. So the main problem from YOUR point of view, I assume, is the Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety (with occasional panic attacks), and PTSD, for which in-patient care could be a help. I hope this psychiatrist is focused on those problems.

This Psychiatrist certainly sounds concerned to see you in an appropriate setting. Whatever you do, Todd, I hope you find meaningful help along your path. Your set of challenges is difficult to sort through.

Comment

Where are you located?
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Hey Todd,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Always been a god guy and have been through a lot, not of your own doing.

You got this.

Comment

Todd, You have been much missed, old friend!

First, know you are taking a first, strong step in acknowledging your dependence on benzos and co occurring mental health issues of depression, PTSD, and anxiety. That takes guts and strength to do so.

I was turned down when I first tried to enter inpatient treatment for addiction to benzos, sleeping meds, and opiates, all prescribed by my doctor. I was deemed "unsuited" for a nonspecific reason. I pushed on and made a stronger case when I asked for help later that week. I was admitted.

I went cold turkey in the A and D treatment center where I was and it was under medical supervision. While I was miserable due to sudden med cessation, I lived through it. I had a non dis roommate (no problems), and a roll in shower, shower chair, reasonable access. It was not perfect in terms of access, but it was doable.

You should have the same options as any other person in terms of treatment. I will be more than happy to share where I went for treatment with you via PM if you wish. There is another facility that is even better and is accessible. It is in Nashville. I'd have gone there if I had known about it as it is great in terms of treatment centers. I know a man who is a para who went there and it has "good" access according to him.

Lest anyone thinks recovery is a one and done stint in a 28 day treatment program, au contraire! It is just a start.

It took me two rounds in treatment for me to better understand I had and have the disease of addiction. The second time I went, I knew my life was on the line. I decided to go from treatment straight to a sober living facility. I paid good money to live with other women in recovery. It could be chaotic at times, but it helped me set a good foundation. I went to at least one 12 Step meeting daily (usually two), was held accountable for my actions, began to learn to live a sober, clean life.

I learned I have depression and began to address that, too. Like you, I have a resounding case of PTSD. I work on and with these issues just as I do my recovery and sobriety. Life is still one day at a time in only the best of ways. Those days begin to add up when taken 24 hours each. It has been fifteen plus years for me of being sober and clean.

If you have any questions, ask here or hit me up via PM.

I'm proud of you for acknowledging the benzos are an issue in your life as well as the depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Let me know if I can help.

Sending love and only good thoughts your way.

~~~ M.E.

Comment

Shopgenext.com has some great products to help get off many different drugs in a natural way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender lady View Post
                Shopgenext.com has some great products to help get off many different drugs in a natural way.
                Addiction is more than "getting off many different drugs." It is a multi faceted disease, especially when compounded by mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and PTSD.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                  From my experience reading SCI forums 10 mg/day is far from excessive and this particular doctor may be one of the thousands who has suddenly gone FDA correct and trying to wean all patients from benzodiazepines, weather it is best for the individual or not. So the main problem from YOUR point of view, I assume, is the Major Depressive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety (with occasional panic attacks), and PTSD, for which in-patient care could be a help. I hope this psychiatrist is focused on those problems.

This Psychiatrist certainly sounds concerned to see you in an appropriate setting. Whatever you do, Todd, I hope you find meaningful help along your path. Your set of challenges is difficult to sort through.
                  Thank you so much. Yes, I believe her intentions are pure and not ill towards me. I?m hurt and confused at times because 10mg of Valium a day is far from the peak of 4mg of Xanax a day. I can?t believe I was taking that much. In hindsight, I realized when I first began .5mg of Xanax could put me to sleep at night. Now imagine I could take 1-2mg and be totally alert.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                    Where are you located?
                    New Orleans, Louisiana, mon ami.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      Hey Todd,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Always been a god guy and have been through a lot, not of your own doing.

You got this.
                      Thank you, Jim, how sweet of you to say. Hugs to all of you for being so compassionate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
                        I'm proud of you for acknowledging the benzos are an issue in your life as well as the depression, PTSD, and anxiety. Let me know if I can help.

Sending love and only good thoughts your way.

~~~ M.E.
                        M.E.,

I had no idea! I?m so sorry you found yourself dealing with the benzo beast yourself. OMG! I want to hug you right now. I?ll drop my information to you in PM.

Love,
                        Todd

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose View Post
                          Addiction is more than "getting off many different drugs." It is a multi faceted disease, especially when compounded by mental health issues like depression, anxiety, and PTSD.
                          Thank you! What she said. Lavender may be well-intentioned, but it’s a very far complex and difficult issue than simply moving over towards natural ways. Opium and alcohol are natural, and we know how devastating they can be.

Comment

I understand. I LOVE clonazapam for sleep an the way my body is relaxed all morning afterwards. Yet it is addictive, so I've learned if I pace myself and only use it once every 4 days, or once per week, I can stick with 1/6 mg and never have to increase. Getting off 1 mg/night took me months after I learned the drug's nature so I have treated it with respect since. I freely confess I simply cannot get a good nights sleep on my own anymore. Currently marijuana is "in", but it has effects I dislike and I yearn to be that kid-then-adult who could always get a good night's sleep. SCI changed that, and maybe I would have changed anyway. You will find your way.

Comment

Detoxing from Valium and other benzos must be done very carefully, slowly, and under medical supervision. While people detoxing from opioids may feel like they are going to die, that is very rare. No so with benzos. Done improperly it can be life-threatening. I hope you get the assistance you need, Todd.

(KLD)
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                                I freely confess I simply cannot get a good nights sleep on my own anymore. Currently marijuana is "in", but it has effects I dislike and I yearn to be that kid-then-adult who could always get a good night's sleep. SCI changed that, and maybe I would have changed anyway. You will find your way.
                                Yes, the inability to enjoy sleep can be a terrible thing; in time, it will likely return. Trazodone may help you sleep well if you can tolerate it. It can make me feel sleepy in an uncomfortable way before working, so I’ll use it with hesitation.

Comment

Working...
                                X