Honey for treatment of wound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey for treatment of wound

My husband has a stage 3 wound on his hip and part of the dressing is MediHoney. Yes, real honey.
    Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with this. He's being treated at a Wound Clinic, and having daily dressing changes. They said healing would probably be two months.

I have used MediHoney on my daughters elbows when a callus breaks open and had great results. It softens, speeds healing and is antiseptic. I just generally like MediHoney for small wounds and always have some in house. A stage 3 wound seems to be too much for MediHoney but maybe it is barely a stage 3?

Comment

It didn't work for me, used for about 2-3 weeks with little progress, swapped to Urgo Clean and wound was cleaned up in 3-4 days. Everyone is different, I've tried a lot of different dressings and some work for me, some don't but may work for others.

Comment

I have used Medihoney on a (fairly large) chemical burn, both while it needed debriding and afterwards; and on (unrelated, entirely different locations) blisters and had good and fairly rapid outcomes each time.

Comment

I was just seen for my healing stage iv and essential oils was recommended in lieu off flap that was going to put me in bed for 6 weeks over the summer.
          want to know if this will succeed....so do i.
          researching this now.

Don't yet know anything about medihoney ....sweetie

Comment

Thanks for the comments!
            Next Wound Clinic visit is this Monday and plan to ask them about Urgo Clean.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
              Thanks for the comments!
              I don’t have any tips but wishing Ancient the best. I’ve implemented several of his practices, “gravity transfers”, and more, very helpful. Wishing fast healing.

Comment

Use bandaid brand. There's a new one out, stays on wounds and creates a "blister" will fall off when ready, BEST there is... I've used em all including medi honey. Good luck

Comment

I have found that it works well on ulcers as long as you don’t sit on the area of the wound.
                  agree with the other comments above that it softens and debrides the wound and you can leave it in place without needing to clean the wound, just change the outer dressing that has drainage on it. The medihoney eventually absorbs into the wound and the debris is drained out onto the dressing.

pbr
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
                    Thanks for the comments!
                    I don't know if it is available in the US, looking at the website maybe not http://www.urgomedical.com/our-products/ it makes a change to have access to a product before the US, usually we are way behind.

Comment

UrgoClean dressings are not available in the USA. They are designed for removing slough and other necrotic (dead) tissue from the wound, which in my experience is also done well by MediHoney, ideally covered with a foam dressing. Neither is appropriate to use for deep (stage III and IV) pressure injuries though.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My docs used pieces of Medihoney when I had a Stage III wound on my bum back in 2012. They used that simultaneously with the wound vac for the first two weeks or so. Then it was just the wound vac for two months, nasty smelly little bugger.

I'm not sure how effective it was, seeing how I couldn't see my wound, but I healed as scheduled. I thought it was pretty cool, though. Not too helpful, I'm sorry.

Comment

We have switched to pieces of Medihoney patches. They are much easier for the daily dressing change which I'm doing as advised by clinic and visiting nurse. The sore is definitely getting smaller and not deeper, as measured by the clinic. A bit of barrier cream goes around the outside edge then I'm using Allevyn 6"x6" adhesive foam bandage or Biatain 7"x7". The Allevyn goes on much easier as the Biatain adhesive part can get wrinkles and is more awkward to handle, for me anyway.
                          Thanks again for the comments. This is Ancientgimp's first major sore in about 45 years, so he's been somewhat lucky.

Comment

When I'm using Medihoney with dressings I have two favorites brands. One is the Allevyn padded dressings like you're using and the other is the 3M Tegaderm Foam Adhesive dressings. It can be tricky with the Medihoney when you first start using it. Here's to speedy healing!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions!
                              Sore is getting noticeably smaller each day. Will check out the 3M dressing. It would be great if there was a dressing with the medihoney already within - we're using the "sheet" kind where you cut off the size you need, or the one that looks like real honey - it's in a tube and tricky to stay in place before bandaging.
                              A Ride Design rep visited our home last week and did both a pressure map of my husband while seated, in addition to 3D imaging of his current, old RD cushion. He thinks pressure mapping can be over-rated - can be one tool in a full seating evaluation. For instance, pressure areas can change each time someone is pushing chair, leaning back, pressure relieving, playing a sport, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X