Shoulder recovery...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder recovery...

For those who have had shoulder surgery, what was the recovery time?
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Here are a couple threads I found that talk about shoulder surgery recovery:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC219629/

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...oulder+surgery

There are many more, I just got through two pages where shoulder or shoulder surgery were found. My search term was "shoulder surgery." Search box below and to the right of the Care Cure Community banner. Search doesn't work really well, but somehow I got a lot of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelieMike View Post
      For those who have had shoulder surgery, what was the recovery time?
      This is a current quote from a friend whose AB husband had the surgery in November: "... He's only half way there in my opinion, he needs much better range of motion and strength. He can lift the arm himself a little more than half way..." and "... I figure it may take a year before he gets full use or as much as he is going to
      get.... "
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Rotary Cuff Surgery

You didn't specify what kind of shoulder surgery you were going to have but I posted this several years ago.

Ti
        Attached Files
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

An orthopedic doctor without much experience saw my MRI and immediately recommended shoulder replacement without discussion of complications. I got a second and third opinion from surgeons. They both said a shoulder replacement is indicated by the MRI but don't recommend it for someone in my situation. The main reason has to do with re-injury during rehab. You can't use your shoulder at all for at least 2 months. Then limited use for several more months. It would take just one bad move to make it worse.

Even if rehab/injury went perfectly well, they doubted that my shoulder strength would ever be what I am seeking. In other words, the reward is low and the risk is high. I am going to do everything I can before even considering a shoulder surgery.

If you are considering a lesser surgery (like debridement), it may require a much shorter rehab and recovery period, like several weeks instead of several months.

Comment

it really depends on the type of shoulder surgery. It can be anywhere from a month or two to a year.

ckf
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

It sounds like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Comment

That's about it Mike; damned if you do or don't. I don't know anyone who had shoulder surgery not be in the same or worse condition 3 years later. We were a pretty active bunch though. I chose not to have it done. That was 20 years ago. Still doing okay and riding the handcycle, in the gym and still active.

Comment

I'm still getting around ok, I can still handcycle both in house and on the road. I'm just constantly sore/stiff, with sharp pains with certain movements, and definitely weaker shoulders.

Comment

I had rotator cuff surgery December 4th with 2 tendons repaired. First 4 weeks in a sling and then next 8 weeks with only passive stretching and range of motion. After 12 weeks everything seemed to really move ahead and I could start resistance excercises and start wheeling my chair again. Now I have no pain and pretty well full range of motion back. I'm working on strength now.
                    The surgeon told me it would be 6 months before most strength returns and probably up to a year for the full affect.
                    It does depend on what type of surgery you have and the state of your shoulder. My PT said they were conservative with my program as my shoulder joint showed some softness so they wanted to make sure everything healed.

Comment

Depends on what is done. Whether you have partial or full thickness tear, resection of part of the clavicle (Mumford procedure), stapling or drilling to re-anchor the rotator cuff, shoulder biceps resection, etc., etc. More extensive the work, the more recovery time is required.

You should make accommodation to have an overhead lift or a Hoyer for transfers for a good majority of the recovery time. You will need to use it completely at first and then partially later on. And that does not even account for the restriction of mobility in bed for purposes such as turning, dressing, and positioning. You will definitely need to arrange for a lot of extra help, including overnight for turning. You will also need to arrange for alternative mobility, as pushing a manual chair will probably be out, as will driving for at least six weeks. If you work you probably won't be able to do your job, even if it is keyboard only related. And after that count on going to therapy several times a week. In addition, you will need to learn how to continue the rehab on your own using resistance tubing or bands. This is critical.

You should also get a gel cold pack that is fitted for the shoulder.

You will be on reduced activity for a long time.

I had a biceps resection (total cutting, and in my opinion a mistake), clavicle resection to reduce impingement, and debridement of the area. How am I now? The same if not worse. Do I blame him? No. The radiological films provided the justification for the procedure and generally that's all they need. Did he advise me of the likelihood of poor outcome given my disability as a quad? No. Did he do many procedures on SCI? Only one. It's rare to find one who has done many in this population. That's a problem across all of our medical needs.

I have been to surgeons for other orthopedic conditions who, when they see me, will refuse to do any procedure, even though the same films and physical exam will provide justification for procedures in other non-SCI patients. Why is this? I think some surgeons do not want to have poor outcomes on their record. I think this is more the reason that their concern for my rehabilitation. At least the surgeon I went to gave me the choice and he did his best.

I know other people, an extremely active and athletic para for over 45 years, who has had an extremely successful outcome.

Lastly, even if you are lucky enough to have a successful, or even moderately successful outcome, I would strongly suggest that you capitalize on that improvement by adopting changes to reduce the stress on the affected area for the rest of your life. This may involve some painful decisions, such as switching from a car to a van, or a van driving from the chair, power assisted wheels, power chair, and minor things such as sink/counter/table heights, tub transfers to roll in shower, and any workplace issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X