No announcement yet.

UTI with no symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you have a colonization. As far as your overactive bladder symptoms, perhaps you should eliminate the possibility that there is something going on mechanically inside the bladder, so ask your Uro to perform a cystoscopy. One symptom of a cyst on your bladder wall is hyperactivity, for example.

Has your Uro ever prescribed you Methenamine Hyprate? This may help in keeping the colonization numbers down and may even help with the hyperactivity.

You have a full time job you sound worried about, so if you have exhausted all of your options and are still dealing with a limited capactity and bladder spasms, you may actually be a good candidate for a bladder augmentation procedure.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Comment

How is the UTI doing?

Comment

Urodynamics testing is what is needed to determine if holding 12 hours is ok. It is an individualized test. for some it is okay to hold for 12 hours if you are voiding and voiding pressure is not too high. Some residual left in then emptied every 12 hours. The other choice would be to take medication so you don't void/leak and do cath.
        CWO
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I sent in for a urine sample like this when I was somewhat symptomatic but not full-blown UTI symptoms. Of course it came back positive and they put me on macrobid which I picked up today. Since waiting for the results I do feel like I have gotten a full-blown UTI with symptoms. The sediment in my urine changed as well. Should I go ahead and take the macrobid or convince them to take another sample to make sure it is sensitive to Macrobid. I have a feeling they are going to say finish the macrobid before testing. Is it possible to get a different UTI bug that is resistant to the same antibiotic? It just worries me. Never will I ever again send a urine sample in unless I have every symptom I normally get
          Marie
          Unbroken by the grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by quadmarie View Post
            I sent in for a urine sample like this when I was somewhat symptomatic but not full-blown UTI symptoms. Of course it came back positive and they put me on macrobid which I picked up today. Since waiting for the results I do feel like I have gotten a full-blown UTI with symptoms. The sediment in my urine changed as well. Should I go ahead and take the macrobid or convince them to take another sample to make sure it is sensitive to Macrobid. I have a feeling they are going to say finish the macrobid before testing. Is it possible to get a different UTI bug that is resistant to the same antibiotic? It just worries me. Never will I ever again send a urine sample in unless I have every symptom I normally get
            You should never take an antibiotic for a urinary tract infection unless first you have the results of a C&S (Culture and Sensitivity urine test). That said, the exception is when you have an agreement with your physician to start Macrobid to help calms symptoms while waiting for the results of a C&S and then switch to the most effective antibiotic as indicated by the Sensitivity portion of the test when the results are available. From what you have said, it doesn't sound like you had a C&S so you don't know the real nature of the bacteria or what is the most effective antibiotic. If you are going to submit another urine specimen for testing, don't take the Macrobid because is will effect the results of the test.
            Last edited by gjnl; 3 Jul 2019, 6:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by quadmarie View Post

Sorry just reread your post in quotes. Should have read closer. I thought you were seeing signs of improvement after starting after starting antibiotic now I see before. you're call.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Just my opinion but I think I would take the course of antibiotics if you did the sensitivity culture and they are treating for results. Especially if you are seeing signs of urine clearing and not getting any negative side effects from antibiotics.

That is pretty much my opinion from experience. Nurses may have better medical advice.
              UTI's are a drain. Hope you are feeling better.
              Last edited by ChesBay; 3 Jul 2019, 6:22 PM. Reason: ETA / Revised thoughts

Comment

Working...
              X