sore and ache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sore and ache

not from riding my sholder blades are so sore and my right arm joint at sholder I move wrong it hurt like h I have put liement on it rub in but no relief .

refresh my memory why heat pads are not good cause I sure would like 1

Do you know if your pain is caused by arthritis? If so, icing the area for 15 minutes several times a day can reduce inflammation. Heat can make inflammation worse, but many people (myself included) find that a heating pad on the low setting is helpful for arthritic shoulder pain - I alternate ice with heat. I don't think there would be any harm in experimenting to see what works best for you. Remember not to ice a joint for more than 15 minutes per hour.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by vjls View Post
      Because if the heating pad were to make contact with an area where you do not have feeling, it could easily burn you without you knowing it.

Comment

not from riding my sholder blades are so sore and my right arm joint at sholder I move wrong it hurt like h I have put liement on it rub in but no relief .

Heating pads used on areas of the body with reduced or no sensitivity can cause severe burns.

Edit: Sorry Scot, I was typing my answer, the phone rang and I was distracted...finished up my post and saved it to this thread, and then saw your answer posted just a bit earlier.

Comment

even for just a few minutes like 10 15? what else is there

Comment

even for just a few minutes like 10 15? what else is there
            Yes even for just that amount of time.

Once, I used a microwavable buckwheat neck and shoulder wrap that produces what feels like a moist heat. I wrapped it around my neck and laid down flat on my back. I got a burn about 3 inches in diameter on one shoulder after about 10 minutes. Luckily I hadn't microwaved the wrap for more than the 2 minutes suggested, so the burn wasn't too severe. But still, it took 3-4 weeks to completely heal.

My injury level is C6/7 and I have some, but not total skin sensation at my shoulders.

Wonder if anyone has tried one of these for shoulder pain: https://www.amazon.com/Icy-Hot-Shoul...ay&sr=8-3&th=1

• PORTABLE, AT HOME TENS Pain Relief: Icy Hot's SmartRelief TENS Starter Kit is wireless & easy to wear & use. This unit has 63 intensity levels, & includes a reusable electrode pad designed for targeting muscular and chronic pain.
            • EASY TO USE: Portable, battery powered, & easy to use, SmartRelief TENS Pain Relief products are made for use at home, work, or during daily activities. TENS Pain Relief works by blocking pain signals at the nerves & is safe, effective pain relief.
            • Relieves painful muscles & joints

Attached Files

Comment

Those buckwheat wraps get really hot, really fast. So do gel packs. I have a Sunbeam electric heating pad that has four settings - the lowest provides just a hint of warmth. Maybe an old-fashioned, easily regulated hot water bottle would feel good on that shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
                Those buckwheat wraps get really hot, really fast. So do gel packs. I have a Sunbeam electric heating pad that has four settings - the lowest provides just a hint of warmth. Maybe an old-fashioned, easily regulated hot water bottle would feel good on that shoulder.
                I know what you say. Actually NL tried the buckwheat wrap before I did and didn't find it too hot. Trouble is I can't squirm when something gets uncomfortably hot and NL can. It is amazing what a difference a little bit of squirm can make.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                  I know what you say. Actually NL tried the buckwheat wrap before I did and didn't find it too hot. Trouble is I can't squirm when something gets uncomfortably hot and NL can. It is amazing what a difference a little bit of squirm can make.
                  Yes, indeed, a slight squirm can change everything.

Something else I've noticed about the buckwheat packs - they don't heat evenly or in the same way every time. It's a good thing that you followed the heating directions to a tee, or you could have had a second degree burn. It makes me shudder to think about it.

Comment

NL suffers from chronic Sternocleidomastoid syndrome which affects the areas just behind the ears. If you have ever worn glasses and get a pain behind your ears from the bows of the glasses you have experienced this kind of pain. She gets a great deal of relief from a TENS unit, which is what lead me to ask about the IcyHot Tens in an earlier post. The only caveat is that if you have a heart pacemaker, you should not use any kind of TENS therapy.

Comment

That IcyHot machine looks very interesting. I have a microcurrent device that is registered as a TENS unit (even though it's not, strictly speaking), but it's incredibly cumbersome and difficult to use. So the IcyHot is definitely something I'll look into. I'm glad NL gets relief from her pain with TENS therapy.

Comment

I use a Sunbeam pad that contoured to cover the shoulders and back of the neck. A magnetic clasp in front holds it in place. I'm a C6/7 so I use it on low setting only. I always wear a heavy hoodie with the hood up to keep it from getting too warm. It's worked well for me. About $60
                        4xquad

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Bishop View Post
                          I use a Sunbeam pad that contoured to cover the shoulders and back of the neck. A magnetic clasp in front holds it in place. I'm a C6/7 so I use it on low setting only. I always wear a heavy hoodie with the hood up to keep it from getting too warm. It's worked well for me. About $60
                          That's the one I have. Works great.

Comment

well I took 2 Tylenols not near as bad today maybe its just getting old

Comment

[QUOTE=Bonnette;1875278]Yes, indeed, a slight squirm can change everything.

For a brief second I thought you 2 were going to discuss something interesting...

Joint pain is one thing I have often gotten successful treatment for from acupuncturists, particularly shoulder pain. It has varied from a bit of temporary relief to a complete fix in 2 treatments. It's worth a try for those who can get on the treatment table.
                              Last edited by Tetracyclone; 11 Mar 2019, 3:05 PM. Reason: added a detail

Comment

Working...
                              X