BP spike from caffeine/cold temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP spike from caffeine/cold temps

Have any of you ever experienced a swift spike in blood pressure from caffeine specifically? I don't normally react to caffeine but just had a relatively high spike which steadily increased to 156/91 over the course of a roughly 20 min span. I tend to run 128-134/mid 80s on average. My PR hit 120 respectively. I got a bit pale and a touch lightheaded as well. It's also terribly chilly in the house today as I hadn't had any heat running all day. I know winter temps can affect a person's BP but just curious about the caffeine specifically. I also seem to recall someone here mentioning that SCI folks tend to run higher BPs, can a nurse shed some light on that for me, please? Thanks much and hope you are all having a good weekend!

Oncetherewasagirl, high BP, high PR is Hyperautonomia that causes a Transient ischemic attack which explains your lightheadedness. Hot drinks, caffeine, temperature change can trigger this Exaggerated Autonomic Response. I can easily trigger Hyperautonomia by putting on tight shoes or direct sunlight.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by melodiclogic22 View Post
      Oncetherewasagirl, high BP, high PR is Hyperautonomia that causes a Transient ischemic attack which explains your lightheadedness. Hot drinks, caffeine, temperature change can trigger this Exaggerated Autonomic Response. I can easily trigger Hyperautonomia by putting on tight shoes or direct sunlight.

Joe
      Thanks, Joe. Do you know of any truths behind the high BP as a baseline for SCIs?

Comment

There is no correlation between High BP as a rule for SCi patients
        if there is an elevated BP it is because of autonomic dysreflexia or hypertension or other cardiovascular or kidney related issues.

pbr
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Oncetherewasagirl, a TIA can be caused by Dysautonomia, low BP, low PR or Hyperautonomia or Autonomic Dysreflexia Hyperreflexia AD-H which requires simultaneous vasoconstriction, vasodilation delineated by the neuropathy. I and others have had the brutal TIA with AD-H with high BP, 187, slightly elevated, 137 and also inverted 82/32 with PR of 141 and you can not tell the difference, the headache is the same. When I was not feeling well and would take my vitals it would be consistently close to 40 points away from my baseline of 117. Joe

Comment

Working...
          X