No announcement yet.

First Thoughts on Getting a Colostomy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why do nu think u gained weight after it? just curious. i would think it would be opposite
    Originally posted by TheRainman View Post
    The only drawback i have had. But gladly got the colostomy because it really made my life a whole lot easier.
    I put on a lot of weight. And the one problem is I can't be on an empty stomach because then my bag gets full of gas. And gasx does not help.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I would also recommend that you look at some of the previous posts. They are chock full of good information.

ckf
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

In regards your original question about Gas:
        - You'll quickly discover the foods that will cause gas, so you can avoid them if you're going to be in the office
        - If you're in a meeting and a bit self-conscious, cross your arms over your belly. A bit of light pressure on the stoma seems to help
        - With the above in mind, you can purchase a 'muffler' with Stealth Belt that will help suppress noise, and the wraps from ostomy secrets seem to help
        - The charcoal filters in the Coloplast Mio seem to work. I've never had an issue yet.

I don't use an abdominal binder, but I have to think that you could just cut a hole in one. I'd wait until well after the surgery though.

Comment

Working...
        X