No announcement yet.

Intravesical gentamicin is a winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like something you would need if you are preparing a bio weapon in your basement, such as ricin or anthrax. I had a feeling this is what they were.

Do the vials pop open so you can dump in the contents or does one need a needle syringe to draw it out?

Do people use only commercially prepared saline or does anybody do this with their own saline according to the protocols that are established?

Comment

When we used this for our outpatients, it was prepared by a pharmacy (compounding pharmacy often) under a hood like this. This is the safest way to prepare it as you would want to avoid contamination by any bacteria, viruses, or fungi.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

you needle a needle to draw and sterile saline.
        Originally posted by crags View Post
        Looks like something you would need if you are preparing a bio weapon in your basement, such as ricin or anthrax. I had a feeling this is what they were.

Do the vials pop open so you can dump in the contents or does one need a needle syringe to draw it out?

Do people use only commercially prepared saline or does anybody do this with their own saline according to the protocols that are established?
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

so does your MD need to give an RX for needles/syringes? new needle every time a batch is mixed?

Comment

yes, and yes i use new everything each time, both cath tip syringes and draw syringes. both cheap with ins
            so does your MD need to give an RX for needles/syringes? new needle every time a batch is mixed?
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

My Medicare pharmacy provider does not cover needles. I'll have to check to see if Medicare covers needles/syringes for this purpose/diagnosis.

Do you get needles and syringes separate or reassembled? They are substantially cheaper if purchased separately.

Comment

i have done both. depends on how mckesson gets them. i prefer all in one. i get a case of 100
                My Medicare pharmacy provider does not cover needles. I'll have to check to see if Medicare covers needles/syringes for this purpose/diagnosis.

Do you get needles and syringes separate or reassembled? They are substantially cheaper if purchased separately.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com

Comment

I'd be curious if Medicare covers. I have been paying out of pocket for years. About $20.00 for needles on Amazon or health supply. I pay $9.00 for boxes of 25, 60cc Cath Tip syringes. It's worth it to prevent UTI's. I hit a period at about 25 years post-injury where I started getting recurring infections. irrigation / instillation has been literally life saving game changer for me.

Comment

Did you try going through Medicare? It should be covered as long as you have a physician order. It is certainly not an experimental procedure, so I would believe it is. I am trying to remember back to my outpatient days and while that was a little while ago, I believe it was covered then. Any $$ in your pocket is worth the inquiry.

ckf
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Getting set up to start this protocol definitely requires some forethought. I need to have all my specific information at hand when I see my urologist in 10 days.

What size needles, syringes and type are people using? Looking at the purchasing specifications required one needs to know the ml syringe size, gauge, length, and luer/non luer syringe type.

The gentamicin vial from my Medicare part D provider is a 2ml vial. I guess if one gets a bigger syringe, one can empty the contents of several vials sequentially before dumping the gent load into the saline, rather than going in and out after each vial.

This link seems to have some valid information regarding Medicare coverage for needles. There seems to be some wiggle room. My part D plan definitely said no.

Getting it covered under part B would probably require either me submitting the claim or the supplier doing so, similar to catheter supplies.

https://www.medicaremd.com/what-does...-medicare.html

Comment

The instructions from Seattle Children's Hospital are specific in terms of supplies needed and protocol for mixing.

https://www.seattlechildrens.org/pdf/PE1769.pdf

Comment

This seems like a pain in the ass. As per the research protocol I posted previously, I planned on making several day's batch (10 days max for home-based patients), removing two days at a time and proceeding from there.

I could possibly see dropping down to a 5 day batch, but preparing it this way for every dose is going to be another task my caregivers have to learn and I have to supervise.

Comment

the vials mixed in saline is fine for a week. heck, the vials dont even expire for a year
                            Bike-on.com rep
                            John@bike-on.com

Comment

This seems like a pain in the ass. As per the research protocol I posted previously, I planned on making several day's batch (10 days max for home-based patients), removing two days at a time and proceeding from there.

I could possibly see dropping down to a 5 day batch, but preparing it this way for every dose is going to be another task my caregivers have to learn and I have to supervise.
                              I do 2 -1 ml ampules, so, 2ml mixed to 1,000 ML Saline and get 16 days no problems @ 60cc's a dose. I keep it refrigerated.

Comment

Two questions:
                                1. Does one have to shake up the saline/gentamicin solution to distribute it evenly before taking out a dose? Or does it stay evenly suspended after the initial mixing?

2. Do people buy the preassembled syringes or the needle and syringe separately? I saw one website where they were about $.40 apiece for a preassembled unit which is quite inexpensive. If one is mixing three times a week or 12 times a month that is a little over four dollars for the month. What size needle/syringe do people get?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X