Red heel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red heel

My left heel has gotten red from not floating it in bed. Should I be using Skin Prep or Alcohol Prep Pads on it.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

start of a pressure sore no pressure on it till it has healed. and float your heels in bed.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

If the skin is not broken, no need for putting anything on it. Massage it lightly to bring circulation to the area.
      I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Absolutely do NOT massage the red area!!! This will add physical trauma to the low oxygen damaged tissues.

I assume the area does not blanche?

If the skin is unbroken, and it become purple or very deep maroon, it is most likely a deep tissue injury. No dressing, creams, or other products will make any difference with the healing. You must keep all pressure off it completely, with luck it will not develop further into a deep open pressure ulcer. If the area becomes hard like a scab, do not let anyone debride or clean off the scab. Leave it in place until it falls off by itself. This can take several months.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tvot View Post
          My left heel has gotten red from not floating it in bed. Should I be using Skin Prep or Alcohol Prep Pads on it.
          I don't have the expertise to give you any advice I'm treating the red spot but my heels got to where I would have very bright red spots in the morning since I always slept on my back. I bought a half sheepskin to go under my lower legs and that completely eliminated the red spots from forming.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            If the area becomes hard like a scab, do not let anyone debride or clean off the scab. Leave it in place until it falls off by itself. This can take several months.

(KLD)
            How do you know it can take several months if you did not even see the wound?

Comment

Originally posted by K_Soze View Post
              How do you know it can take several months if you did not even see the wound?
              40+ years of experience managing pressure injuries in people with SCI/D. Heel deep pressure wounds are very common, and follow this path of healing if the person is lucky.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Ditto- not 40 + years but getting close. Float your heels and take the pressure off. CWO

Comment

Please, can we tone this down a little.

Do not masssage the area. If the skin is not broken, do not put anything on it. If you routinely use cream or lotion on your feet, you can continue to do so.

Float the area and try to keep any pressure off of it. That includes shoes, tight socks, etc.

And see your SCI practitioner.

ckf

Comment

Inappropriate responses removed (again). Be respectful of each other. Thanks.

(KLD)

Comment

My sincere apologies to everyone offended. Happy new year to all.
                      I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

The answer is Skin Prep, Certainly not Alcohol Prep Pads like my PCA used. She grabbed the wrong box. My morning PCA put the box in the wrong place. I've been overwhelmed since my wife and sole caregiver passed away. Breaking my neck 38 years was a cakewalk compared to what I'm still going through.
                        Bob Seger

Comment

Do not use skin prep. I know that you may have been told that in the past, but curent practice is to to use it for skin preotection.

I am sorry that you are going throught such a rough time. It will get easier, but it is never easy.

Hang in there!

ckf

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                            Do not use skin prep. I know that you may have been told that in the past, but curent practice is to to use it for skin preotection.

I am sorry that you are going throught such a rough time. It will get easier, but it is never easy.

Hang in there!

ckf
                            Well should it be treated with anything? It's just slightly red, so maybe only floating it in bed will get it back to normal? BTW it probably got red from not doing that. I always say to my PCA's, do I have to think of everything. Laurel and Hardy, don't know which one said it.
                            Bob Seger

Comment

treat it with nothing just keep all pressure off of it.
                              T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X