Taking vitamin D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking vitamin D

I have been a c-7 quad for 38yrs. My current doctor did blood work and said i really need to take heavy doses of vitamin D. I have read that vitamin D can cause kidney stones. So i am worry if i take the vitamin it might give me bladder stone. 25 to 30 years ago i had a problem with bladder stones but it stopped. Not sure why.
    Should i take the vitamin or ask more questions?

Get some sunshine and eat foods that give vitamin D. 48 years post here where where we get sun only a couple months each summer and all is well.

Comment

My Dr. has me taking 2000 IU daily. Been doing it for 3 years. No problems so far. I have a past history of bladder and kidney stones.

Comment

Have you had any stones since taking the vitamin D?

Comment

Eat vitamin d rich foods like salmon if you are concerned about kidney stones from supplements

pbr
          Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-19-2018, 11:02 AM.
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            Eat vitamin d rich foods like salmon if you are concerned about kidney stones from supplements

pbr
            Thanks, sounds like a good idea.

Comment

By heavy doses did your doctor mean prescription strength like 50,000 IU every other day for 6 months? That is not an unusual occurrence in fulltime wheelers of whatever cause. I needed that about 6 years in (1998) and then went down to an OTC of 2,000 IU daily split into 2 doses. Most PCP today suggest that amount in the colder states year round even for ABs.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

The older you get, the less vitamin D your body makes from the sun. The range your vitamin D should be in is 33-100. I take 1000 IU a day.

Comment

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5241241/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. The link from funklab was interesting.

Comment

What happens if I don’t get enough vitamin D?

Comment

My favorite food health sites.
                        https://draxe.com
                        http://www.whfoods.com
                        Drastically changed my lifestyle due to depression and losing 50lbs.
                        My new diet is mainly Oatmeal 2 kiwis. Sockeye salmon, chicken, broccoli, carrots. spinach. Fried food take once a week.
                        Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
                        Bob Seger

Comment

Jim, https://medlineplus.gov/vitaminddeficiency.html

Comment

Vitamin D is not just a vitamin. It has been shown not only to be important for bone Heath but the immune system, mental health especially depression and research is. Ring done on others such as schizophrenia; also diabetes, hypertension, heart disease , energy, 5 cancers, . There has never been a link with bladder stones or kidney stones. Your doctor is looking at the level in your blood and is just getting you to normal range. Also possibly impacts o deity, sterility and reproduction. All pregnant women now take extra vitamin D and babies take extra the first year of their life. And forget that sun business. If for whatever reason you don’t have a normal range- you do not need more sun- it can cause skin cancer. Google Vitamin D and you will be amazed at all the issues it impacts. CWO
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                            X