No announcement yet.

Colostomy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have issues with hernia's afterwards? They've got me so freaked out about hernia's im almost scared to transfer.

Comment

• They cut into your gut, so there is a hernia there already. It depends on how well the surgeon affixes the opening if there will be a prolapse or not. Perhaps that's a hernia. I had two prolapses in the first couple years. It was no big deal, the doc went in and cut a bit off and resutured to the skin. Haven't had any issues since then. You will get a slight bulge there because they cut through the muscle to get to the intestine.

Comment

• Is it possible to wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy?

Comment

• Originally posted by wheelman21 View Post
          Is it possible to wear an abdominal binder with a colostomy?
          I recall that I've read the answer to this question at other threads. The answer has been it depends of the location of the stoma and the type of binder used. Evidently there are binders with a design that accommodates cut outs for various stoma/tube placements.

I found the reference that I mentioned above: Post #6 at http:///forum/showthread.php?263284-...ght=KLD+binder
          Last edited by gjnl; 09-27-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• They have a belt called a Stealth Belt. Perfect for someone upright but doesn't look so much for someone seated with a little quad belly. Im sure im just way over thinking it in my usual paranoid way.

Comment

• So were 2 months in. Only thing I can report is this has been the best thing ive done for myself since my injury...well, maybe 2nd to getting married to my rock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                So were 2 months in. Only thing I can report is this has been the best thing ive done for myself since my injury...well, maybe 2nd to getting married to my rock.
                Awesome! I said the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                  Awesome! I said the same thing.
                  Ditto. It was agony making the decision to get the procedure, that was the toughest part of the entire process.

Comment

• Did you buy the Stealth Belt Shaun? If so how's it working? I'd love to find something to corral the bulge.

Glad it's working out for you. Worst thing for me is the quad belly look; which is nothing compared to pre colostomy.

Comment

• great to hear buddy
                      Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                      So were 2 months in. Only thing I can report is this has been the best thing ive done for myself since my injury...well, maybe 2nd to getting married to my rock.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

• So glad to hear that you are happy with your decision.

ckf
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                          Did you buy the Stealth Belt Shaun? If so how's it working? I'd love to find something to corral the bulge.

Glad it's working out for you. Worst thing for me is the quad belly look; which is nothing compared to pre colostomy.
                          I did not. I changed the way I did a few thing's and my surgeon and nurse told me take a breath and stop over thinking everything. It's all worked out.

Thanks everybody for the advice and help for me making this decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
                            Ditto. It was agony making the decision to get the procedure, that was the toughest part of the entire process.
                            After 24 years of bc I didn't think twice about having the procedure.

Comment

• Good suggestions above.
                              ckf
                              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• BTW, when I first had my colostomy a friend who'd already had the procedure recommended a Litter Genie as a way to dispose of the colostomy bags. So, you use a plastic bag to collect the colostomy bag as usual and then drop into the container. This works extremely well - no odor at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X