No announcement yet.

Colostomy questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, thanks for all the info folks. I've had a good talk with an Ostomy nurse and i'm going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
      Well, thanks for all the info folks. I've had a good talk with an Ostomy nurse and i'm going for it.
      Good luck! The toughest part is making the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
        Good luck! The toughest part is making the decision.
        It will take a little getting used to it but it's well worth it. If you have any questions ask. Good luck!

Comment

Ask Landrover, is he happy?/forum/newreply.php?p=1859493&noquote=1

Comment

Good luck. Just be prepared for an adjustment period. I was a bit naive about the healing process and expected to recover sooner and have it work well quickly. It definitely is a process. Still all good (even the unpleasant unknowns haven't change my opinion).
            Peace
            "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Tim C. - What's your point? Looks like Landrover hasn't even done it yet???

Comment

Originally posted by alissa View Post
                Good luck. Just be prepared for an adjustment period. I was a bit naive about the healing process and expected to recover sooner and have it work well quickly. It definitely is a process. Still all good (even the unpleasant unknowns haven't change my opinion).
                Peace
                Very true. Work your way back to exercising and activity. Getting out and being active again is key, but I agree it took a bit longer than I expected.

Comment

After 17 years, I had a colostomy on June 27. Was only in the hospital until June 30. So far it's going very well. My bag gurgles once in a while with gas. Does that go away after some time?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                    Ask Landrover, is he happy?/forum/newreply.php?p=1859493&noquote=1
                    I haven’t had the procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by cjo View Post
                      After 17 years, I had a colostomy on June 27. Was only in the hospital until June 30. So far it's going very well. My bag gurgles once in a while with gas. Does that go away after some time?
                      5 days, that's great. I was good at 5 days. Things got more intense once I was eating a regular diet for a minute or 3. Gas happens - for me it doesn't just sit and twist me up inside anymore, it actually passes when it should.

Comment

5 days, that's great. I was good at 5 days. Things got more intense once I was eating a regular diet for a minute or 3. Gas happens - for me it doesn't just sit and twist me up inside anymore, it actually passes when it should.
                        What happened? Or what do you mean by things getting intense? I've been on a regular diet since the night of surgery. I have not had a lot of output, but have been feeling well.

Comment

Originally posted by cjo View Post
                          What happened? Or what do you mean by things getting intense? I've been on a regular diet since the night of surgery. I have not had a lot of output, but have been feeling well.
                          I got back to a regular diet while in the hospital (a 3 night stay). I thought it took a long time to have real output for what I was putting in. Took a while (and still working on it at 3 months post) to get the range of consistency I want for output. Also working on the "When". I want a bit of predictability, within reason. I've had to experiment with different products to find what works and what doesn't. I've experienced too much output at one time and none at all for 4 days...more fun stuff to work out, but like I say, a process.

I was 27 years post when I did this, so I was already heavily dependent on stimulation from both ends. I still don't know how dependent I am on stimulation now.

Comment

I got back to a regular diet while in the hospital (a 3 night stay). I thought it took a long time to have real output for what I was putting in. Took a while (and still working on it at 3 months post) to get the range of consistency I want for output. Also working on the "When". I want a bit of predictability, within reason. I've had to experiment with different products to find what works and what doesn't. I've experienced too much output at one time and none at all for 4 days...more fun stuff to work out, but like I say, a process.

I was 27 years post when I did this, so I was already heavily dependent on stimulation from both ends. I still don't know how dependent I am on stimulation now.
                            Have you tried one tablet of Immodium in the morning? Did the trick for me and my Sigmoid Loop C.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                              Have you tried one tablet of Immodium in the morning? Did the trick for me and my Sigmoid Loop C.
                              Haven't tried immodium. Am trying to find a miralax/psyllium balance. I really like the psyllium for consistency. Trying Miralax at different intervals (from every day to every 2 and 3). My diet seems to be dictating this big 2 day "cleansing" and 4-5 day moderate to none. I do eat very differently on weekends, so makes sense. What is the benefit to immodium?

Comment

shaun !!! it's been a long time !! hope u remember me...i hope life has been treating u well !! jim n i have been struggling w this for about 8 months n i knew coming to CC would help w our decision. the hardest part is making the decision indeed !! 28 yrs. n he's ready however so many things running through our minds. i wish u well n look forward to hearing about your process !! i've never stopped thinking about ALL u guys n gals.... hoping that LIFE has treated u ALL well. take care always stormie xo
                                and in the end it's not the years in your life that count it's the life in your years. abraham lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X