No announcement yet.

How many times do you intermittent cath yourself a day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With fresh Botox treatments I cath 4-6 times a day, for ~600ml, no leaking over night. Without Botox I cath 6-8 times a day, for ~250-450ml, with one cath in the middle of the night to avoid a night leak (I wake to the urge to pee). Also, I think i never leak during the day because (off Botox) I have 3/5 normal bladder sensation, so I know when I have to pee, and I just do it. Once I know I have to pee, if I don't, within ~30min I'll have a bladder spasm that causes a decent amount of leakage. I don't take any oral meds.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I drink approx 1100-1300cc fluid on average per day. I cath 7 times a day.

Comment

Seems like a lot of folks have bladder sensation. I'm pretty sure I could get down to 4x/day of I could sense my bladder. I actually have nonsense neuropathic sensation; my strongest (but not real) urgency is after I cath. I assume the mixed up signals from cathing just get assigned to urgency by the confused brain.
        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

For the people who SC during the day, and use a Foley at night. Are you using a new foley each night, or cleaning and reusing it? Is anyone using a SC at night and leaving it in for the night to drain into a bag? I was wondering if a touch less system would work for the night, or would it leak between the cath, and the bag?

Comment

One of the SCI nurses gave this answer about using intermittent catheterization during the day and leaving a catheter in or using a foley catcher at night. /forum/showthread.php?226418-Intermittent-Cath-Question&highlight=catheter+overnight

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
            The catheter can dry out, but I am not sure how long that takes. You might want to call the manufacturer and find that out.

It is not a good idea to leave a catheter in place if that is not how you manage(or plan on managing) your bladder. You are giving the bladder mixed messages - that sometimes it has to hold urine and others it doesn't. I do know there are people out there that do keep a catheter in place over night and it works for them. In my opinion, it is not the ideal, but I do understand the need for sleep...

CKF

Comment

Originally posted by MMcgif View Post
              For the people who SC during the day, and use a Foley at night. Are you using a new foley each night, or cleaning and reusing it? Is anyone using a SC at night and leaving it in for the night to drain into a bag? I was wondering if a touch less system would work for the night, or would it leak between the cath, and the bag?
              My Dad has been intermittent cathing during the day (3x per day) and placing a foley overnight for almost 3yrs. He uses a clean foley each night and washes and re-uses collection bags. I believe there is someone on this site that cleans their foleys and re-uses, but now i forget who..... Smokey, I think, does intermittent cathing during the day, inserts a straight catheter at night and tapes it down (!) and leave it in place overnight to drain (see his post above). A touchless system might be risky, since those don't hold a lot of urine.....
              Last edited by hlh; 20 Jul 2018, 5:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X