No announcement yet.

speeding up bowel transit time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is an awful lot of water. gjnl is right - please be careful and have your electrolytes monitored closely. I would encourage you to cut back some.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

A person with a healthy spinal cord would read this thread and wonder why we all haven't shot ourselves. Bowel programs, the gift that keeps on giving.......

Comment

A damaged spinal cord doesn't necessarily mean bowel programs. I'm 18 years into it and never did a program. I know when I have to go, always did.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyjames View Post
          A damaged spinal cord doesn't necessarily mean bowel programs. I'm 18 years into it and never did a program. I know when I have to go, always did.
          I was like that until this time last year... enjoy it.

Comment

I had my first post-injury colonoscopy on Monday this week and I had barely any stool 48 hours after so I'm looking at a 72 hour transit if I don't have an accident before tomorrow morning. This is quite distressing for me; the idea of 3 days of food jammed up in my parabelly isn't a pleasant one. I guess I really am full of sh*t!

Investigating miralax...what is best for reducing transit time without creating shitpocalypse? I'm currently leaking a lot of urine (botox in a week or two) as my oxybutynin threw in the towel and stopped working so increasing fluids isn't a good option for now.
            T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Miralax is easy, doesn't interact with your meds, and you can titrate what you need up/down every day based on how things are going. My Dad's GI who is an expert in neurogenic bowel recommended it.

But after a colonoscopy, that is pretty normal. My Dad probably took about 1 week before things were more normal, and probably nothing for at least 3-4 days. There is no need to take any Miralax now. You are learning how slow neurogenic bowel can be.

Yes, yesterday his urologist pointed to his belly and said.... "a little weight gain..?" But no. That's how my Dad's belly looks some days, based on how much stool/gas he is holding on to. We took a picture of his flat belly on the day of his colonoscopy so we know it isn't swollen with fat.

Comment

Call me vain but I'd prefer to avoid "stool belly" if at all possible. If you're saying things speed up and get back to a 24-48 hour Transit time then, sure, I'll wait.
                T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

yep, poop belly. i can literally drop 2+ lbs with a bm. ive weighed several times b4 then later went and re weighed.........
                  Originally posted by hlh View Post
                  Miralax is easy, doesn't interact with your meds, and you can titrate what you need up/down every day based on how things are going. My Dad's GI who is an expert in neurogenic bowel recommended it.

But after a colonoscopy, that is pretty normal. My Dad probably took about 1 week before things were more normal, and probably nothing for at least 3-4 days. There is no need to take any Miralax now. You are learning how slow neurogenic bowel can be.

Yes, yesterday his urologist pointed to his belly and said.... "a little weight gain..?" But no. That's how my Dad's belly looks some days, based on how much stool/gas he is holding on to. We took a picture of his flat belly on the day of his colonoscopy so we know it isn't swollen with fat.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                  X