Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigmoid end colostomy?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Sigmoid end colostomy?

    For those that have a sigmoid colostomy. Is it safe to use a enema or suppository like enemeez to get the balls of mucous paste to come out. I feel like there?s something there that doesn?t want to come out.
    Thanks

    #2
    From what i've read, I believe you can use an enema or maybe just dig stim, but I'm just scheduled for April, so this is just from research, not experience.
    Also, posted this on another thread:
    For those who have been injured for decades (2 or so) and were taking laxatives (prune juice for me) and then had a colostomy, do you have to continue with laxatives? (sorry for the hijack)
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

    Comment


      #3
      no lax.... it's an open pipe... no more waiting... just don't eat before you maintenance your bag

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
        no lax.... it's an open pipe... no more waiting... just don't eat before you maintenance your bag
        What they said ^ ^ ^ ^

        Comment


          #5
          Merci Beaucoup!
          "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

          Comment


            #6
            Greetings!
            Say BP is every second morning, Is it possible to train the bowel afterward to maintain somewhat of that kind of routine?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Shaun View Post
              Greetings!
              Say BP is every second morning, Is it possible to train the bowel afterward to maintain somewhat of that kind of routine?
              After a colostomy? I'm going to say no. As Patton 57 said it's an open pipe. I've had my colostomy for 4 years.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                After a colostomy? I'm going to say no. As Patton 57 said it's an open pipe. I've had my colostomy for 4 years.
                Four years?
                Wow, have you gotten used to it?

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you're talking about the lower end, I think they call it the stump, It's okay to do a suppository. Up the rectum of course, not the stoma. I wouldn't use it frequently but to get the odd "hairball" would be okay. My C. doc is surprised I don't have to do it. I've only had to do it a couple of times in 8 years I've had it.

                  With my Sigmoid, I don't do anything different except take one 2mg of Imodium to make the stool more consistent. It makes all the difference in the world for me. I can eat what I want, when I want. I've learned the schedule I usually go at. It's pretty right on. I know if I eat a big chinese dinner, two day later there's gonna be a big dump that may take up more than one bag. I always carry three extra bags with me. I wrap a couple paper towel sheets around the bag and insert it into the throwaway bag.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                    Four years?
                    Wow, have you gotten used to it?
                    I definitely have! After the surgery it took a few weeks to find the right colostomy bag. Since then everything has been pretty good. I wish I would have had it done a long time ago. Been injured almost 28 years.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Tim C. -
                      I'm 1 week and 1 day out from my body mod. I'm definitely not 100% yet, and still await a bm, but I have to say that after 27 years of not passing gas easily - if at all - just passing gas as it needs to move out has been worth the surgery. I know it's not for everyone, but I notice you always make a derogatory comment on colostomy posts. Why are you so vocally against it? Why not just pass by threads you feel so strongly against? I have not come across any negative posts by folks actually with colostomies.
                      "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

                      Comment


                        #12
                        [QUOTE. I wish I would have had it done a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

                        This is what I keep reading and hearing. Really has me looking into this..

                        How often do you guys need to change bags? Pretty varied? Once every couple days maybe?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          ''How often do you guys need to change bags? Pretty varied? Once every couple days maybe?''

                          It varies. Sometimes I have to change it everyday. Sometimes I can go days before changing it. Depends on what you eat.
                          Last edited by HACKNSACK44; 11 Apr 2018, 2:22 PM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by alissa View Post
                            Tim C. -
                            I'm 1 week and 1 day out from my body mod. I'm definitely not 100% yet, and still await a bm, but I have to say that after 27 years of not passing gas easily - if at all - just passing gas as it needs to move out has been worth the surgery. I know it's not for everyone, but I notice you always make a derogatory comment on colostomy posts. Why are you so vocally against it? Why not just pass by threads you feel so strongly against? I have not come across any negative posts by folks actually with colostomies.
                            I agree 100%! Before my colostomy if I had gas I would get sweaty because I had no way to release it. It sucked! Now it is so much better.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thanks all!
                              Another question.. Could i use a suppository in the stoma to get things moving and clean myself out?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X