Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
    Thanks all!
    Another question.. Could i use a suppository in the stoma to get things moving and clean myself out?
    My surgeon told me I could, but I've attempted it a couple of times and couldn't keep the suppository in. With no sphincter it kept popping out before melting. A nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in but I haven't tried that yet.

Comment

For those who got their colostomies after many years of BPs, did you have to do anything to regulate output at first? I'm going on 6 weeks and my pattern so far has been 4 days of almost nothing, then 3 days of constant output. I need to get more regular but am at a loss. I take a dose of miralax/day. I am eating lots of veggies & salads, drinking coffee again...
      "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by beckman View Post
        My surgeon told me I could, but I've attempted it a couple of times and couldn't keep the suppository in. With no sphincter it kept popping out before melting. A nurse suggested using a baby soother to hold it in but I haven't tried that yet.
        Cool. How long have you had the colostomy?

Comment

Originally posted by alissa View Post
          For those who got their colostomies after many years of BPs, did you have to do anything to regulate output at first? I'm going on 6 weeks and my pattern so far has been 4 days of almost nothing, then 3 days of constant output. I need to get more regular but am at a loss. I take a dose of miralax/day. I am eating lots of veggies & salads, drinking coffee again...
          Mine varies day to day. Sometimes I have to change bags everyday and sometimes I go days without having to change it. Why are you taking miralax?

Comment

Taking Miralax to keep consistency soft & moving, I hope. It's what they told me to do in hospital & ostomy nurse agreed. I'm backing off a bit to see what happens. But that pattern of barely anything for 4 days, then constant for 3 days feels terrible. I am really uncomfortably full for much of it and freaked out about constipation. Do you do anything regularly to keep it going?

Comment

I have periods when I shit swedish meatballs regularly; just shake em out and reinstall the bag. That's the ideal state!

I have periods that it comes out like sticky, thick Carvel; then I change the bag, squeeze out the old one into the toilet, and put the bag in the provided bag that comes with the new bags, for disposal. (when I first had the colostomy I was putting full bags in the disposal bags; my waste basket would soon get very heavy. I somehow don't like throwing away shit (pun intended). It seemed kind of gross, so I started emptying the bulk before bagging my bags.

Then I have periods when I don't poop for 3-5 days. Depending on my mood, I usually wait it out and shit happens.
              Other times I get scared and take some milk of mag-always seems to work inside of 24 hours.
              69yo male T12 complete since 1995
              NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                How long have you had the colostomy?
                coming up to 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
                  I have periods when I shit swedish meatballs regularly; just shake em out and reinstall the bag. That's the ideal state!

I have periods that it comes out like sticky, thick Carvel; then I change the bag, squeeze out the old one into the toilet, and put the bag in the provided bag that comes with the new bags, for disposal. (when I first had the colostomy I was putting full bags in the disposal bags; my waste basket would soon get very heavy. I somehow don't like throwing away shit (pun intended). It seemed kind of gross, so I started emptying the bulk before bagging my bags.

Then I have periods when I don't poop for 3-5 days. Depending on my mood, I usually wait it out and shit happens.
                  Other times I get scared and take some milk of mag-always seems to work inside of 24 hours.
                  That is a bit of a relief, thank you. I'm a quad, so just gotta toss the shit

Comment

Originally posted by alissa View Post
                    Taking Miralax to keep consistency soft & moving, I hope. It's what they told me to do in hospital & ostomy nurse agreed. I'm backing off a bit to see what happens. But that pattern of barely anything for 4 days, then constant for 3 days feels terrible. I am really uncomfortably full for much of it and freaked out about constipation. Do you do anything regularly to keep it going?
                    No I just eat a regular diet and let nature take its course.

Comment

Working...
                    X