Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting sick

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    getting sick

    Has anyone had a cold that lingered for over a month? In mid-august, I flew to Houston and on my way back to vegas I got a cold. It literally took me 40 days to completely get over it. There were days were I felt well and then I'd get sick again - it was bearable, because it was summer and I could go sit outside in the heat and feel better. Now, I feel like I'm getting sick again, I'm just hoping it doesn't last over a month this time. Does airborne help?
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

    #2
    Are you sure it is a cold and not the flu? Did you get a flu shot this year? Have you seen your physician? A cold or flu is not going to last this long, but if you get a secondary bacterial infection as a complication of a cold or the flu, that can linger quite a while. Do you have a productive cough, and what does the sputum look like (it should be clear or whitish)? Do you have a fever? You should be worked up for sinus infections or lung problems such as pleuresy or pneumonia if it is lingering this long.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


      #3
      Not to negate what the nurse said, but what about the forest fires? Aren't you in the path of all that smoke? It can't be good for you.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
        Are you sure it is a cold and not the flu? Did you get a flu shot this year? Have you seen your physician? A cold or flu is not going to last this long, but if you get a secondary bacterial infection as a complication of a cold or the flu, that can linger quite a while. Do you have a productive cough, and what does the sputum look like (it should be clear or whitish)? Do you have a fever? You should be worked up for sinus infections or lung problems such as pleuresy or pneumonia if it is lingering this long.

        (KLD)
        Thanks sci-nurse for reply. Yes, I did get a flu shot this year. I did see my doctor - she checked my lungs and there was no rattle. She said I most likely have a cold and to drink plenty and rest. Fast forward to today and I feel fine, although I always seem to get a stuffed nose when I sleep, but that goes away when I get up. I get colds and had the flu before, but never where I had thought it was gone and then it came back - very strange for me.
        A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by baldfatdad View Post
          Not to negate what the nurse said, but what about the forest fires? Aren't you in the path of all that smoke? It can't be good for you.
          No smoke here.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

          Comment


            #6
            Glad to hear you are feeling better. Have you also had a pneumonia vaccine? People with SCI should get this once after injury, and then again at age 65.

            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Glad to hear you are feeling better. Have you also had a pneumonia vaccine? People with SCI should get this once after injury, and then again at age 65.

              (KLD)
              Thanks! Yes, I've had a pneumonia vaccine about 15 years ago, my care providers are pretty good about letting me know what I need - totally grateful for that.
              A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

              Comment

              Working...
              X