Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you really relieve pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you really relieve pressure?

How often do you really believe pressure? Or, do you relieve pressure at all? Thank you.

T12 para; 12 years post; probably not often enough. A couple times an hour, maybe. Sometimes more if I?m uncomfortable (happens frequently with back and leg pain) which tends to inspire me to squirm around more often.

I have a fairly easy pressure relief, that lifts my ischials and trochanters completely, by simply leaning forward and resting my elbows on my knees. I push down on my knees at the same time stretching my Achilles (to help minimize more drop foot). When I?m in bed I try to roll over every couple hours; right side, back, left side, right side, etc, etc.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

T6 complete, 39 years post; rather like Oddity and don't purposely do it but am constantly fidgeting and often plant my bum at the front of the wc cushion and lean back just to try and get some comfort. At night I turn more than twice but now that's just habit.

Comment

I sat on a pressure mapping pad with software to display the pressure spots on a screen. I noticed that leaning forward is almost as good lifting up. Shifting side to side also relieves pressure but not as good as leaning forward. Therefore, as you are pushing your wheelchair you are relieving pressure as long as you are leaning forward when pushing. When I am sitting still at a computer, I place my elbows on the table and rock the wheels so that I lean forward and backward to simulate the same motion as if I were pushing my wheelchair. I almost never do pressure reliefs perse.

Comment

C4 50+years...I use my tilt at least hourly. Watching TV I do it every commercial break. I usually tilt when on the phone. When working at my desk, I put my elbows on the armrests my hands under the desk surface. By flexing biceps, I can lean forward and then pushing down from my shoulders, I can get pretty good pressure relief. This last procedure left me with considerable shoulder pain and that was why I have ended up with a power chair with tilt.
          Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

I simply cannot relieve pressure every 15 minutes for 15 seconds as prescribed by healthcare professionals. Like a couple of folks here I have also discovered when I lean forward with my elbows on my knees it completely takes the pressure off of my "ischskies". Sometimes I will lift up to get my butt off the cushion by placing my hands on the wheel and lifting up but it really kills my hands, wrists and elbows. On a good day, I will relieve pressure hourly but obviously I should do it more often.

I am fortunate enough to have found I can sleep on my back throughout the night (10 hours) without getting any pink or red spots on my tailbone or hips or anything.

Comment

my goal is 1 minute every 30 minutes, but most of the time it's more like 1 1/2 - 2 minutes ever 35-45 minutes
              I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Comment

I use a powerchair just about all the time; it's no problem for me because it's just easy to shift around with minimal effort. Not so when I'm in my manual, especially since there's no armrests. As for sleeping, I use a hospital type bed with rails that I can hook and turn whatever way I want, but I spend most of the night on my left side. If I'm uncomfortable I can easily shift to my back or other side.

Comment

T12 L1 para since '83. I used to have a timer set for 20 minutes and do a pushup for almost a minute. I was sitting on a ROHO. Ended up needing a flap 20 years post injury. Now I am on a meridian wave that gets replaced yearly as the foam starts breaking down. I get pressure mapped yearly as well. Leaning forward actually provides (me at least) better relief as I can do longer and\or more often while at work but I don't time it. I am uncomfortable enough all the time that I change position and move around a lot. The real help is being out of the chair 10 straight hours damn near every day. Bottom line is you need to find something that works for you.

Comment

C7, 7 years. Almost never. I fidget quite a bit for back comfort, but rarely do anything similar to what I was taught.

Comment

Like many people here pain and discomfort makes me shift around a fair bit, also doing a pressure relief, especially hooking my legs under a table to stretch out my spine makes the pain and spasms a little less.

It seems that back pain just might be saving our asses.

Comment

T7/8 complete Para 26 years post and never. I cannot remember how long after rehab that one day I realized that I had gotten busy and not done a pressure relief all day. I got in bed and checked out my skin and to my shock not even a red spot anywhere. So I just thought I would keep a close check on my skin and see how it went. I am very active and handcycle as a means of transportation and exercise and I think that makes a difference and have used a ROHO cushion. Not suggesting that anyone not do them I am just saying how it has worked out for me.

Comment

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
                          T7/8 complete Para 26 years post and never. I cannot remember how long after rehab that one day I realized that I had gotten busy and not done a pressure relief all day. I got in bed and checked out my skin and to my shock not even a red spot anywhere. So I just thought I would keep a close check on my skin and see how it went. I am very active and handcycle as a means of transportation and exercise and I think that makes a difference and have used a ROHO cushion. Not suggesting that anyone not do them I am just saying how it has worked out for me.
                          DJ, I am 40 years post and like you I never really did much pressure relief especially right after my injury. I had a couple of repair procedures early on and I went about 30 years without any skin problems. But about 10 years ago my ass meat was pretty thin and I began to have problems. I always wondered if I had done more pressure relief earlier if I could have avoided the 5 repair jobs I've had on my butt.....plus I can't tell you how much it sucks laying around waiting for your ass to heal while looking at the ceiling......AND it puts a lot of pressure on your relationship with your "significant other". I

So I encourage newbies and grizzled hard ass older folks with a SCI to get in the habit of relieving pressure even if you don't see any benefit. Thanks

Comment

(QUOTE SMOKEY )So I encourage newbies and grizzled hard ass older folks with a SCI to get in the habit of relieving pressure even if you don't see any benefit. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well said Smokey

Comment

Well, the first page of this thread is just people constantly pressure relieving so much more than I do right now. I pressure relieve for 10 or 15 minutes every three or four hours while in my power wheelchair. Sometimes when I’m out in public or simply forget, I can go maybe six or seven hours without tilting. I can’t really fidget around much either.

I sit on a ROHO so I don’t know if that makes a difference but so far no problems at all, not even redness.

Comment

Working...
                              X