No announcement yet.

Problems with Catheter Insertion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another day where I could not insert the catheter. I have issues with insertion in the first 2 to 3 inches of the catheter. Not near the prostate at that point. Frustrating!!

Comment

mike, call an online uro supplier and tell them your situation, they will send you samples of good caths. hell if you need i always have a stockpile for the zombie apocalypse. i can send you a few boxes of hollister vapro hydrophilic caths. pm me if you need some.
      Originally posted by Mike_Stan View Post
      Another day where I could not insert the catheter. I have issues with insertion in the first 2 to 3 inches of the catheter. Not near the prostate at that point. Frustrating!!
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Not a big problem. I used the red rubber catheters for a few years. Then they wouldn't pass. I guess it was due a combination of spasms and scar tissue. I went to the 14 Fr intermittent catheter. It would usually pass but I could feel resistance. Sometimes it would not pass. Sounds silly but pulling the penis helped. But even better is hydrophilic catheters. I like the Coloplast for several reasons. It passes with the least resistance of all that I have tried. There is no water packet that you have to burst open. The packaging is most compact. The boxes are about half size of others making it easier to store, carry, and dispose of the waste. A neat trick to disposing them is to put them back into the sleeve, fold the sleeve into thirds, and hold in place using the sticky white circle on the sleeve. Otherwise, they are too long to fit into a small trash can.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
          A neat trick to disposing them is to put them back into the sleeve, fold the sleeve into thirds, and hold in place using the sticky white circle on the sleeve. Otherwise, they are too long to fit into a small trash can.
          I like this tip! I've been folding mine in half and twisting.

Comment

Glad to hear it. It works nicely because the sleeve is semi-rigid, which enables it to stay in place when folded into thirds. Other brands can't do that. All the small stuff that saves time and space adds up.

Comment

Is that a speedicath you are using? I tried the speedicath flex coude and was able to insert that better.
              Last edited by Mike_Stan; 24 Feb 2018, 8:59 PM.

Comment

Yes. But it's straight tip not coude. Coloplast # A4351.

Comment

Does this catheter have the no touch strip so you don't touch the catheter while inserting?

Comment

No it does not. That was a main concern of mine and that is why I selected other brands before this one. But then I found out that one reason other brands have the sleeve is because their catheters are too flexible to insert with one hand. For other brands, you need to push the catheter from the top while guiding it from the bottom or else it may flex. Hence the sleeve or a glove is required. The spedicath is semi-rigid so you can insert it using only one hand at the top. It's good to have one hand free for other functions, like holding a urinal. With the other brands, you need a third hand for the urinal.

Comment

I keep thinking the more rigid the catheter the more trauma you will eventually cause to the urethra. Maybe I am wrong.
                      Last edited by Mike_Stan; 26 Feb 2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Those catheters are a little more rigid Mike but not that much stiffer than the red rubber latex catheters you are using. They shouldn't hurt your urethra.

Comment

I keep thinking the more rigid the catheter the more trauma you will eventually cause to the urethra. Maybe I am wrong.
                          That's what I thought too at first. But it's the other way. The really soft ones don't pass easily and need more force, which is more potential trauma. These pass the easiest of all I tried... least micro-trauma. I can't see myself ever going back to the standard catheters. Hydrophilic are the best.
                          Last edited by August West; 2 Mar 2018, 5:19 PM.

Comment

I sampled a number of catheters this week. I used the speedicath flex coude, Cure hydrophollic and Cure regular catheter using Surgilube for lubricant. They all inserted better than the Red rubber catheters. The regular Cure catheter with Surgilube felt more slick than the hydrophillic when running my finger down the catheter. I'm not able to tell by sensation if one feels better than the other. I may go with the Cure regular for now.

Comment

to those with s/p caths - how much time do you have between pulling out the old catheter and putting in a new catheter before the stoma closes.
                              C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Comment

I sampled a number of catheters this week. I used the speedicath flex coude, Cure hydrophollic and Cure regular catheter using Surgilube for lubricant. They all inserted better than the Red rubber catheters. The regular Cure catheter with Surgilube felt more slick than the hydrophillic when running my finger down the catheter. I'm not able to tell by sensation if one feels better than the other. I may go with the Cure regular for now.
                                Running your finger along the catheter is a different scenario than inserting it. The lube tends to bunch up and becomes relatively useless beyond the first couple inches. Hydrophilic doesn't have this problem. If you don't have sensation an alternate test is how much force is required.

Comment

Working...
                                X