Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvot View Post
    Microcyn or Ecolox HOCL generator
    Does anyone have any opinion on if I should use microcyn or the HOCL generator. It would seem to me the generator cost effective in the long run since it would be cheaper to produce. Let me just say I was just doing Saline installation / irrigation I've done quite well with this until the visiting nurse said to never do anything like that. Well since then I've been having a lot of UTI since March. I need to go back installation irrigation. I was doing 30 CC's X 4. By the fourth 30cc it would be running clear. Do you understand how I am doing this?What I do is put 30 CC's in a 60 CC syringe and inject it into my bladder and slowly pull it back until it runs clear usually by the fourth time. Can you just give me some insight on how you do your procedure. Thank You, Dan
    When I do irrigate (which is not often) I do 60cc , inject and pull back same as you described. Boil my own saline and microwave the syringe before use. When the syringe gets difficult to push or pull throw it away and get a new one. If I was having a lot of issues with uti's I would try microcyn.

Based on what you said, I would go back to using saline. First you need to get any active UTI cleared up. Hope this helps.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Comment

Originally posted by Rook98006 View Post

When I do irrigate (which is not often) I do 60cc , inject and pull back same as you described. Boil my own saline and microwave the syringe before use. When the syringe gets difficult to push or pull throw it away and get a new one. If I was having a lot of issues with uti's I would try microcyn.

Based on what you said, I would go back to using saline. First you need to get any active UTI cleared up. Hope this helps.
      Just got the word today another UTI. When it clears up I will go back to doing the saline. I will stay with something I know was successful. In the mean time my will ask my GP about the marsa and UTI's. I don't know why infectious disease doctor did not pick up on the marsa and UTI's. He just kept suggesting getting a subpubic, that's nonsense.
      Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
      Bob Seger

Comment

Actually, some recent studies have shown a significant decrease in symptomatic UTIs in those changed from an indwelling urethral catheter to a indwelling SP catheter.

The current thinking among SCI-expert urologists is not to treat colonization, even with bacteria like MRSA, as this will just increase the bacteria's resistance to antibiotics if you should develop a true UTI, especially if it is still there after several courses of antibiotics.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

The current thinking among SCI-expert urologists is not to treat colonization, even with bacteria like MRSA, as this will just increase the bacteria's resistance to antibiotics if you should develop a true UTI, especially if it is still there after several courses of antibiotics.

FYI, Actually hypochlorous acid isn't an antibiotic and there's no chance of resistance. That's one of the things I like about it.
          Also, that it isn't harsh. This is from a previous post in this thread about the difference between bleach and hypochlorous. https://www.forceofnatureclean.com/b...rolyzed-water/

On the other hand my urologist says he doesn't like me using it because he thinks it being an acid, it could be harsh on the bladder, but I'm not sure he understands it. I have a mitrofanoff and the very top of my stoma keeps growing scar tissue. I was using the microcyn (.009 % hypochlorous to clean before I cathed, but I stopped in case it is drying it out like he thought. I irrigate with it before bed and just sleep with it in, but maybe I'll start doing it for a shorter time and draining it. When I started using it consistently I stopped getting UTI's about 2 years ago. I haven't had trouble with UTI's, but not having trouble with my stoma growing the scar tissue and getting hard to penetrate. I may have to have a revision for this.
          http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
          my website & blog

Comment

Originally posted by darlagee22 View Post

FYI, Actually hypochlorous acid isn't an antibiotic and there's no chance of resistance. That's one of the things I like about it.
            Also, that it isn't harsh. This is from a previous post in this thread about the difference between bleach and hypochlorous. https://www.forceofnatureclean.com/b...rolyzed-water/

On the other hand my urologist says he doesn't like me using it because he thinks it being an acid, it could be harsh on the bladder, but I'm not sure he understands it. I have a mitrofanoff and the very top of my stoma keeps growing scar tissue. I was using the microcyn (.009 % hypochlorous to clean before I cathed, but I stopped in case it is drying it out like he thought. I irrigate with it before bed and just sleep with it in, but maybe I'll start doing it for a shorter time and draining it. When I started using it consistently I stopped getting UTI's about 2 years ago. I haven't had trouble with UTI's, but not having trouble with my stoma growing the scar tissue and getting hard to penetrate. I may have to have a revision for this.
            Here is a more scholarly paper published in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, 2018 Nov; 11(11): 36–39, that you may want to share with your physician.
            https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6303114/
            Status Report on Topical Hypochlorous Acid: Clinical Relevance of Specific Formulations, Potential Modes of Action, and Study Outcome.

SUMMARY
            HOCl exhibits broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity that is directly toxic to many bacteria and fungi and might also impart antiviral properties. Hypochlorous acid exhibits anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties based on multiple laboratory analyses. These properties appear to correlate with the potential therapeutic benefits of topically applied HOCl for a variety of skin disorders. Topical formulations of stabilized, pH-neutral HOCl (e.g., solution, gel, spray) have been evaluated in several studies demonstrating both antimicrobial effects and therapeutic benefit in many cutaneous disorders, including seborrheic dermatitis, atopic dermatitis-associated pruritus, acne vulgaris, diabetic foot ulcers, and hypertrophic scars/keloids. Topical HOCl appears to be well tolerated and safe, without any major adverse events reported.

Microcyn, generically known as hypochlorous acid (HOCl), is neither acid or base, but pH neutral. In addition to the skin disorders listed in the summary above, HOCI has been clinically used to treat severe burns and pressure injuries. HOCI is classified as an antimicrobial.

During his lifetime, GJ was treated for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I remember these words from the surgeon that implanted (and later removed) a port (a type of central venous catheter) for delivering chemotherapy infusion. He said, scarring is what the body does when it experiences injury, whether accidentally or surgically caused. It is a natural phenomenon. The body is constantly trying to heal wounds and does that best through the process of scarring. Seem to me, in the case of urinary diversions, the body is always working to close these "wounds." Likely, if you were using HOCI as a topical application to the stoma, it was aiding and enhancing the scarring/healing process.

NL
            (GJ's wife of 50 years and caregiver for 38 years)

Comment

• darlagee22
              darlagee22 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. Maybe I can get him to read that study. It definitely restores my confidence in instilling it again because I was starting to worry about it hurting my bladder.

Also that makes sense to me about it helping to heal and scar it so I will keep using baby wipes with a little chlorhexidine instead of microcyn.
          Working...
          X