Need a recommendation for a cream/lotion to prevent p. sores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a recommendation for a cream/lotion to prevent p. sores

Hey guys I have had bad skin breakdown on my S before.
    Now that the pressure sore on my ass is gone I am looking for ways to prevent it.
    I am using some kind of a cream that is moisturizing and preventing formation of pressure sores but it's from another country and the writing is in another language.
    I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for creams like that - that work for them.
    Thanks
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Maceration will only make skin weaker and it will be less able to protect the deeper layers.

Some covers use spacer fabric to avoid maceration.

Need to:

1. Isolate any shear force on the skin:-
    a. Squeeze angle of 80deg;
    b. Low friction UHMWPE cover over cushion; and
    c. Stretchy cover over that.

As you are a quad the whole seat will need to be reclined, while maintaining the 80deg squeeze angle otherwise you will not be able to support your spine. I'm a para and I can't support my spine for a whole day.

2. Only apply uniform pressure to the skin:-
    a. Cut out cushion so weight is supported by longer trochanters, not point loads of the coccyx and ischia;
    b. Gel and memory foam (Jay, etc.); or
    c. Pneumatic cushion (Roho, etc.).

Make sure cushion is not bottoming out, gone flat or suffered a leak.

A cutout to not kink your bendy straw if you are using condom drainage. Beware of the Roho kink problem.
    http://zagam.net/

Comment

Pressure Ulcers are caused by Pressure. Lotion or shearing results and skin tears might be helped by a lotion or a hydrocolloid placed.
      Recommended: Pressure reliefs (shifting) while up in wheelchair every 15 minutes and Pressure Releases- if you can by lifting or reclining chair back all the way every 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
      And that is no matter what kind of cushion etc...
      CWO
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
      X