Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing/living with a pressure sore rather than healing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would regard those as generalizations at best. There's no telling where those rating came from or what they are based on. Talk with your therapist and doctor and get pressure mapped with both options and see what works best for you.

Comment

Thanks jdellovade. Although my current cushion did not reveal any pressure areas during my last mapping, it does seem wise to investigate other options as the vicair has indeed been a constant all these years.

Comment

In response to your question, I'm currently using a Ride Design cushion (not custom one), but I have had to add a 1' piece of cushion the same size underneath it. The cushion cover itself has about 1/4" cushioning in it.
        However, I am hoping the seating evaluation next month will come up with something better.
        I find I am changing cushions about every 3 months or so at the times when one becomes so uncomfortable that pressure relief doesn't help much. I'm guessing that cushions begin to flatten a bit with the constant sitting, and I keep about 3 or 4 on hand - over the past 10 years.

Comment

Have you considered a Roho Quattro? I've got a recurring mark on right IT/sitting bone, it can recover but I think is now mainly scar tissue so goes pink. The tissue viability nurse and my spinal nurse suggested that cushion as it can be adjusted in 4 quadrants to balance out my posture. I was pressure mapped with it and whilst not significantly better than my Roho Smartcheck it did give a more even pressure distribution. I don't know how it works with only one air valve and a locking valve but does seem to be better, I'm back to being up 8-10 hours a day 2 weeks after I got it and was only up 4 hours a day. The mark is small, 1 cm diameter and like you I considered just sitting on it and seeing what happened but I am glad I didn't as am now making real progress.

Comment

With the vicair cushion, it is essentially a new cushion regularly I guess, for as soon as any of the air pyramids flatten you can replace them.. when you check it anyway.

As for the roho, I'm not sure which I tried but it wasn't stable enough for my needs but I am open to trying it again, plus any others.

When I spoke to my spinal consultant about all of this, she offered the suggestion of a flap surgery as an alternative to constantly going on bedrest (agreeing that so many years of this means that it's time to try something new). I'm not sure how I feel about this. On here now looking at what others have experienced. If it ultimately improved my quality of life then great but if it was not a success then I think I'd feel angry that I opted to go down that route. Going to find out more from a plastic surgeon and whether this is a favourable option or not

Comment

The option of the flap surgery is not a bad idea as an alternative to bed rest. You just need to know what you're getting into with the surgery. It should look something like this:

1. Make sure there is no infection. If there is, you'll probably need approx. 6 weeks of antibiotics to clear that up first.
              2. Your recovery should consist of 6-8 weeks of 24/7 bed rest in an air-fluidized bed. That's laying flat. No sitting up. No getting out of bed for any reason whatsoever. Your diet should also be high in protein to aid in the healing process. This is usually done in some type of skilled nursing facility since it is hard to get the insurance to pay for this type of bed for in-home use. For your well-being, you need to stay on top of the nurses to make sure you're getting what you need. Unfortunately these days those places are understaffed and the nurses are overworked so you need to advocate for yourself.
              3. Your rehabilitation should be, based on my experience) 2-3 weeks of incremental sitting in your chair again to acclimate yourself to adding pressure to the site. At the same time you should also be transitioning to some type of LAL overlay mattress. You'll probably also start to do some endurance and strength training since you will loose a lot of that from you recovery time.

I've gone through this three times. It's neither pleasant nor enjoyable but it works and its better than the alternative of potentially never ending bed rest. You know that there is an end date at which point you can start to resume your life. You just need to mentally prepare yourself for the down time. Find things to keep you busy (work, read, etc.). Make sure you have a in-depth conversation with the plastic surgeon about how all of this will look for you so you are completely clear about all aspects of the procedure and recovery.

All of that being said, you also need to address the root cause of this problem. There's no point in going through all of that just to have it break down again. Definitely shop around for a new cushion. The collapsing air pyramids was one of the issues I had with the vicair that caused me problems.If you can come up with a viable solution to prevent this from occurring again, I think you should give the flap surgery serious consideration if your surgeon is in agreement.

Comment

Working...
              X