coating a straight cath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coating a straight cath

What would be wrong with coating a straight catheter every once in awhile with an antibiotic such as triple antibiotic based with Vaseline? Aside from introducing bacteria, if done properly, it could be of some benefit to the urethra I would think.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Short doses of antibiotics only grows antibiotic-resistant bacteria. That would be akin to just taking oral antibiotics ever other day to try to keep infections away. You'd be harboring stuff that would be uber deadly.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Also, petroleum based antibiotic ointments such as triple antibiotic ointment are not designed to be applied to mucous membranes and can actual cause infections. Stick to only water-soluble lubricants such as KY or Surgilube.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Some lubricants used for cathing actually contain a bacteriostat that helps this. Surgilube does, I believe.

Some people use hydrophilic catheters and "activate" them with Hydrocleanse/microcyn instead of the sterile water packet contained in the catheter.

Comment

Working...
        X