urine, cut, color and clarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

urine, cut, color and clarity

ok, we know we obsess with our pee when you have sci.
    1. when do you start to worry??
    2. is your pee always prestine and clear?
    3. Do you get cloudy?
    4. Flakes and floaties if held up to the light sometimes?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

1. Generally not until I have a fever, or am involuntarily voiding at super low volumes
    2. Rarely pristine and clear, but gets close with lots and lots of water over a couple days
    3. Yes, seems directly related to type and volume of drink
    4. Sometimes, yeah
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Same as Oddity. I'll only add that if I drink a few light beers its does get ridiculously clear, but floaties and cloudiness are common.

Comment

1. When I start retching and shivering.
        2. Only when I'm taking antibiotics.
        3. All the time.
        4. Plenty of flakes and floaties.

Comment

Same as what others said. I'll add that I start to worry when it smells bad. There's more sediment when I eat dairy, and when the catheter (sp) it older (3+ weeks).
          "Cherish your tears. If you can cry, you still have some humanity left, and you are reclaiming more of it." -- David Kelly

Comment

1. LOTS of crud visible and smell goes "south". I don't get symptoms(fever) until way too late.
            2. Only when drinking alcohol. :-)
            3. Yes, depends on what I drink eat, but should clear up next cath.
            4. Sometimes. Also, when I use a hydrophyllic bag cath, I notice there are floaties created by the slippery stuff.

I currently am on the opposite end of the spectrum, my pee is *always* crystal clear, even when cath'ing at 3am, by then it should be a medium yellow color at least. I had a day surgery to have kidney stone removed ~month ago, went septic and almost killed me. I was in for 5 days, BP tanked, temp 103, yada, yada... 6 litres of saline, 2 units of blood(to offset the anemia from saline), and lots of IV anitibiotics. Since then, I pee'ed like a maniac for a week getting rid of all the fluids(my balls were swollen to tennis ball size), then everything finally went back to normal. Except, my pee is always completely clear. Weird as hell. Sorry for the tangent Fuente.
            "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Comment

thx all.

mcduff, hope u are feeling back to yourself. I had urosepsis first week of January, in hospital 5 days, nasty resistant bug then 2 weeks picc line. this is why I'm so paranoid.

I had a nasty cold and some cloudy pee for a few days then wham woke up with 104 fever and bp through the roof. crazyness
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                thx all.

mcduff, hope u are feeling back to yourself. I had urosepsis first week of January, in hospital 5 days, nasty resistant bug then 2 weeks picc line. this is why I'm so paranoid.

I had a nasty cold and some cloudy pee for a few days then wham woke up with 104 fever and bp through the roof. crazyness
                I had urosepsis a year ago on 13th April, night before I'd felt fine and then within 15min. I was shaking, shivering and puking, went to bed and next morning no urine in night bag (kidneys had shut down).

Then followed 10 fun filled days in the intensive care unit.

What really frightened me was the speed that it happened!

Comment

dam, its crazy...........
                  Originally posted by Timaru View Post
                  I had urosepsis a year ago on 13th April, night before I'd felt fine and then within 15min. I was shaking, shivering and puking, went to bed and next morning no urine in night bag (kidneys had shut down).

Then followed 10 fun filled days in the intensive care unit.

What really frightened me was the speed that it happened!
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

Sepsis is scary as you all have said. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict who or when or if you will get it. The best you can do is to take care of yourself and try not to go out on the edge too often.
                    ckf
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

wonder what causes us to get the cloudy and floaties? trauma from cathing??
                      Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
                      Same as Oddity. I'll only add that if I drink a few light beers its does get ridiculously clear, but floaties and cloudiness are common.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                        wonder what causes us to get the cloudy and floaties? trauma from cathing??
                        I think just sediments from certain fluids and cells from the bladder. Sometimes I wonder if some of the floaties might be bits of urethra cells from catheter tip holes making minor scrapes going in and out. I was told that the bladder would shed cells depending on bacteria count. I know that at the tail end of any UTIs, I get a lot of cloudy sediment that is pretty white. Could also be small amounts of semen from a larger prostate, retrograde ejac, or the light trauma of the catheter insertion near prostate. But I'm no medical expert.

Comment

good points. I agree with mcduff about the hydrophilic caths creating floaties as well.
                          Originally posted by Tman9513 View Post
                          I think just sediments from certain fluids and cells from the bladder. Sometimes I wonder if some of the floaties might be bits of urethra cells from catheter tip holes making minor scrapes going in and out. I was told that the bladder would shed cells depending on bacteria count. I know that at the tail end of any UTIs, I get a lot of cloudy sediment that is pretty white. Could also be small amounts of semen from a larger prostate, retrograde ejac, or the light trauma of the catheter insertion near prostate. But I'm no medical expert.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

Lately, I've been getting clinically significant UTIs on paper, yet was not febrile. The colony count was over 100,000 and anything over 10,000 is significant in someone who intermittent self catheterizes. In that case I did take antibiotic so it didn't progress to fever, and possible sepsis.

Just this week I thought I had a UTI under the same conditions, pain, burning, changes in odor and color. However, this time the colony count was 9000, right at the edge of justification for antibiotic. This time, put me on a short course, just three days of antibiotic. I was tempted to let it go, but thought otherwise.

My problem is is that I have chronic pelvic burning and spasm, possibly neurogenic, possibly related to my prostate, possibly cystitis, whatever. But I'm never sure whether this burning and spasm is related to a UTI. But like others, but I start having a lot of premature bladder contractions with leakage at low volumes it's time for a specimen to the lab. Regardless of whether fever is present.

Comment

Working...
                            X