Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In dwelling Foley catheter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    In dwelling Foley catheter

    Hi I'm a C5/6 complete and have been using a condem catheters since my injury 14yrs. ago. I have had bladder problems the last few years and now my urologist is switching me to a in dwelling Foley until I can get a super pubic done. Does anyone have any info on the Foley and super pubic and how to keep from getting utis and the best ways to maintain it day to day. I have no experience with either and barely ever had utis well using a condem catheter. Thanks!

    #2
    Losts of fluids and Clorox.

    When using an indwelling foley drink a lot of fluids between 4-6 liters a day to keep the bladder flushed and clean your urological appliances with Clorox bleach. Change foley once a week or as directed.

    Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry Ti, I must disagree with what you have said.

      No one should drink 4-6 liters of water a day. That kind of consumption is a set up for hyponatremia. You don't need to flush the bladder with that kind of quantity of water to prevent urinary tract infection on either an indwelling urethral foley catheter or a suprapubic catheter. It is dangerous. It puts an over load on your kidneys. Take it from someone who drank that "coolaid" and ended up in the ICU for 7 days on deaths doorstep two years ago. You are good, as my nephrologist recommends with a maximum of 2 liters of water per day.

      With a supra pubic catheter, you need to keep the outside stoma area clean and change your catheter once a month and your leg bag twice a month.

      In addition there are several instillations you can consider from HydroCleans or MicrocynAH to Gentimycin or Tobramycin.

      I urge you to search this forum for:
      HydroCleanse
      MicrocynAH
      Gentimycin for urinary tract infections
      Tobramycin for urinary tract infections

      Then draw your own conclusions.

      Comment


        #4
        Ask your doctor.

        Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        Sorry Ti, I must disagree with what you have said.

        No one should drink 4-6 liters of water a day. That kind of consumption is a set up for hyponatremia. You don't need to flush the bladder with that kind of quantity of water to prevent urinary tract infection on either an indwelling urethral foley catheter or a suprapubic catheter. It is dangerous. It puts an over load on your kidneys. Take it from someone who drank that "coolaid" and ended up in the ICU for 7 days on deaths doorstep two years ago. You are good, as my nephrologist recommends with a maximum of 2 liters of water per day.

        With a supra pubic catheter, you need to keep the outside stoma area clean and change your catheter once a month and your leg bag twice a month.

        In addition there are several instillations you can consider from HydroCleans or MicrocynAH to Gentimycin or Tobramycin.

        I urge you to search this forum for:
        HydroCleanse
        MicrocynAH
        Gentimycin for urinary tract infections
        Tobramycin for urinary tract infections

        Then draw your own conclusions.
        Sorry jgnl, I must disagree with what you have said too. I have to disagree with you about 4-6 liters a day giving you hyponatremia. I have been drinking that amount for the last 22 years with no hyponatremia issues. I asked my primary care physician about this and he said that amount will not cause your sodium to go low. He said if you drank 15 gallons of water, yes it will give you hyponatremia or even kill you by death of water intoxication.

        My urologist agrees with me that mount of fluid with a foley is safe amount to intake.

        It has been so long I can't even tell you when I had to go and see the doctor for a symptomatic uti.

        Educated me on what is "overload the kidneys?" What is that? Did you have any co-morbid issues that caused your hyponatremia? Were you adding salt or food with sodium to your diet?

        Ty12, best advice is to ask your doctor in charge.


        Ti
        Last edited by titanium4motion; 16 Jan 2017, 12:46 AM.
        "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

        Comment


          #5
          4 liters is a lot of water to drink per day. The only time I drink that much is in the summer and quite active.

          Comment


            #6
            Current guidelines for indwelling catheter users are as follows (evidence based):

            • Drink 3-4 liters of water daily.
            • Clean the area around the stoma and the catheter itself (SP catheter) or the genitals and the catheter (urethral) once daily with an antiseptic wipe. We currently use CHG wipes designed for this.
            • Change the catheter every 4-6 weeks. There is no advantage to changing it more often for UTIs or other complications.
            • Secure the catheter using a device such as a StatLock Foley to prevent "pistoning" of the catheter in/out of the stoma or meatus, and to help prevent inadvertent dislodgement.
            • Always keep your drainage bag below the level of your bladder, and with out any "dependent loops" (which are loops of drainage bag tubing that hang below the top of the bag).
            • Maintain a closed system if at all possible. This means do not disconnect the catheter from the drainage bag on a regular basis. We currently attach a leg bag and leave that in place until the catheter is changed next; removing it from the leg only, and attaching a bedside drainage bag at night to collect the larger amount of urine most people put out at night.
            • Avoid routine irrigation. Irrigate only for clogging.


            (KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
              Sorry jgnl, I must disagree with what you have said too. I have to disagree with you about 4-6 liters a day giving you hyponatremia. I have been drinking that amount for the last 22 years with no hyponatremia issues. I asked my primary care physician about this and he said that amount will not cause your sodium to go low. He said if you drank 15 gallons of water, yes it will give you hyponatremia or even kill you by death of water intoxication.

              My urologist agrees with me that mount of fluid with a foley is safe amount to intake.

              It has been so long I can't even tell you when I had to go and see the doctor for a symptomatic uti.

              Educated me on what is "overload the kidneys?" What is that? Did you have any co-morbid issues that caused your hyponatremia? Were you adding salt or food with sodium to your diet?

              Ty12, best advice is to ask your doctor in charge.


              Ti
              There will always be differing opinions on the amount of fluid one should ingest. I'm speaking from the advise given to me by my nephrologist and endocrinologist to help me prevent another life threatening event. When I suffered hyponatremia, I had no medical issues other than, for whatever reason, I have always tended to a low blood sodium level. I have always heavily salted my foods, even taken sodium supplements, but for a reason that no physician can explain, I always have a low (within the normal range, but barely) sodium. It doesn't take much for me to fall below the normal range.

              My caveat to anyone who contemplates drinking 3-4 liters or quarts of water a day is to find out what your baseline blood sodium is and consult the physicians on your team about what is best for your personal circumstance. If you are already drinking that much water per day, make sure you are getting regular blood sodium tests to know what impact your fluid intake is having on you.

              Comment


                #8
                I have used a foley since 1985 and have had a supra pubic since 2012. I use a statlock to keep the foley stable to avoid pulling and sliding. Way better for me than tape irritation or straps that never stayed in place. My experience has been that the 3 most important factors in avoiding infection are 1) hygiene, 2) avoiding irritation and 3) adequate hydration. My system needs 3-4 liters a day to stay flushed out. I got by years with a standard foley by using the softest ones I could find. And paying for them out of pocket kept me problem free for years until the factory quit making the soft ones and the next softer ones caused internal irritation issues. Silicon catheters were hard and caused big problems for me. With my supra pubic I am not even aware of it. I have a good relationship with my home health nurse that changes it and that makes a ton of difference. I can feel the thing as it passes through the bladder wall and having someone recognize that and allow for pulling it out slowly until past that point makes a ton of difference. I went to using the larger bedtime drain bag full time because it gave me more freedom in staying hydrated and in maintain a sterile connection. I hand the bag in a bag holder in front of my leg rests and it is discreet and not on display. I wish I had the chance to get the supra pubic done earlier.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Drinking 4-6 liters of pure water a day can become risky particularly with aging and if you are on multiple medications. My father (who is 74 and on a lot of medications) also has borderline low sodium levels and if he drank 4-6 liters of pure water a day he would wind up in the ICU too with low sodium. He drinks 3-4 liters a day - a mixture of low cal sports drinks with salts, V8 and very little straight water except for his coffee (which is essentially water), and we keep an eye on his sodium. That is a lot of drinking, but he needs it for UTI prevention and because he feels dehydrated if he drinks less. Everything is a balance.

                  My Dad uses intermittent cath during the day, and he places a foley every night to sleep through the night.

                  No no one touches my Dad's foley or foley bag or tubing without gloves.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I use the Duette catheter by Poiesis as my supra pubic catheter. It has two balloons with the drainage eyelets between the two balloons. Very comfortable. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

                    I also use HydroCleanse or MicrocynAH as a bladder installation and drain in about 5-10 minutes once per day. See more than the links below by searching "Microcyn."
                    http:///forum/showthread.php?133414-...light=microcyn
                    http:///forum/showthread.php?254921-...light=microcyn
                    http:///forum/showthread.php?178789-...light=microcyn

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I'm using a Bard silver-tip silicone catheter, and am changing it out typically every 3 to 4 months. I drink about 2 L per day, take cranberry extract and d-mannose, and have not had a UTI in five years. YMMV.
                      C4/C5 complete since 2011-08-13.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thanks for the great info!! I had the Foley put in yesterday been drinking tons. The one issue I have is there was some blood coming from the tip of my penis when it was first put in which normally happens when I have had things inserted, but it's day two and I still have some blood coming out not much but still a little bit and it's on the Foley tube as well. What should I do? Is it normal?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Ty12 View Post
                          Thanks for the great info!! I had the Foley put in yesterday been drinking tons. The one issue I have is there was some blood coming from the tip of my penis when it was first put in which normally happens when I have had things inserted, but it's day two and I still have some blood coming out not much but still a little bit and it's on the Foley tube as well. What should I do? Is it normal?
                          So, as I understand it, you have an indwelling urethral catheter in your bladder now and soon, you will have a supra pubic catheter placed. Was the same French size Foley catheter used as what you have been using to intermittent cath? If it is bigger, that may be causing some bleeding, a bit of urethra trama. Otherwise, there may be some irritation where the balloon of the catheter rests on the bladder wall at the mouth of your bladder. That should go away soon. If not, you may want to ask your urologist to remove some of the water from the balloon. Some people have more comfort and less bleeding when the balloon is deflated by just 1 or 2cc.

                          Are you taking anticholinergics or anti spasmodics like oxybutynin? These drugs will help quiet bladder spasms and some sources say will help to maintain bladder size. You'll probably need to take them when you have the supra pubic placed.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm also a C-6 and have had a SP catheter for a long time. I used to get UTI's often and now haven't had one in about 3 years. This is what i strictly follow now.

                            1. Biggest change i think has been i no longer disconnect my leg bag/extension tube ever except when i put on a new one every two weeks or so. I don't put on a night bag or disconnect the bag/extension tube to clean them. When they start getting kinda grimy, i simply throw them out vs cleaning them daily or every few days.

                            My insurance only covers 2 bags a month, so i just buy extra ones so that i'm not breaking that closed system seal often which happens to much if disconnecting and cleaning regularly. The extra money per month buying extra bags vs cleaning them beats not getting UTI's.

                            2. I drink a decent amount of water daily.

                            3. I take Cranberry pills twice daily. It's not a proven fact that they help, but they may help and aren't expensive so i may as well do so.

                            It's been such a great change in my life not only being UTI free for about three years, my urine no longer stinks and there no longer is all that gunk floating around which can plug a catheter. It's also nice not having drying out leg bags or night bags hanging in the bathroom.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Hi gjnl, that's right I have a Foley catheter in right now until I can get surgery for a super pubic. Before this I was on condem catheters so never really did many in and outs. Anytime I have had anything insisted into my penis lately I have a bit of bleeding but never lasted, I just had a #14 Foley catheter inserted yesterday but still some blood coming up from the tip just wondering if it was normal? But thanks for your input if it lasts I will definitely call my urologist or community nurse.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X