No announcement yet.

In dwelling Foley catheter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Foley has to be irrigated daily because there is so much sediment created in my bladder, despite the 3 to 4 L of water I drink per day.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
      My Foley has to be irrigated daily because there is so much sediment created in my bladder, despite the 3 to 4 L of water I drink per day.
      I also have lots of sediment and wonder what is the cause. even when drinking lots of water. does anybody know what causes it.

Comment

Some urinary sediment is normal in urine. Lots isn't. Sediment is made up of bladder lining debris, crystals, casts, and infectious cells. In that most people with spinal cord injury have bladder colonization there will be more or less sediment than in bladders of able bodied. I drink about half of what many of you say that you drink, at most, I drink 1-1/2 to 2 liters of water per day, and I don't have much sediment at all...and I don't drink tons of other fluids like sports drinks or high sodium juices. This may just be one of those things that some people get and others, for whatever reason, don't.

Comment

Im changing my foley way too often! 3-4 weeks? This could change my life.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskerDude View Post
            Im changing my foley way too often! 3-4 weeks? This could change my life.
            l thought you were using either intermittent cath or reflex voiding?? Now you say you are using an indwelling catheter? Confused.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I use everything. It depends on what my daily situation. If im going to be some place i can cath, i will do an IC. I tend to use foley most of the time. I have tried to switch to confom, but it doesnt stay on well.

Comment

What external condom catheters have you used? How do you clean and prepare your skin for application? Are you very obese? Do you have problems with penis retraction?

Using an indwelling catheter most of the time would explain why you may have a very small bladder capacity and leak between catheterizations when managing your bladder with intermittent catheterization, esp. if you are not taking any anticholenergic medications.

(KLD)
                The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Coloplast external. Soap water and tape. Not obese. No retraction.

Comment

Is this a self adhesive external condom catheter? Are you making sure that the soap you use has no perfumes or moisturizers? Are you using some type of skin protective wipe under the external on your skin?

(KLD)

Comment

Self adhesive. I'll check the soaps

Comment

So do you inflate your own? If you switch between ic and Foley how do you only change it every 3-4 weeks. Do you take it out, wash, dry and reuse a Foley?
                        CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Comment

Originally posted by lavenderthistle View Post
                          So do you inflate your own? If you switch between ic and Foley how do you only change it every 3-4 weeks. Do you take it out, wash, dry and reuse a Foley?
                          Reusing a foley catheter, in...out...in...out isn't a good practice.

Comment

I definitely do not recommend reusing a foley. You are asking for trouble.
                            ckf

Comment

I wasn't suggesting anyone reuse one. The op indicated in this post or another that the Foley was only changed out every 3-4 weeks. If they're alternating I was just wondering how it was only changed every 3-4 weeks working with ic and Foley.

I was confused about the logistics? Mechanics? Process?
                              CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Comment

Some people with SCI use intermittent catheterization during the day and will use an indwelling foley at night for bladder management.Is that what you are referring to?

pbr

Comment

Working...
                                X